• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoothies?

boggah

Well now that Jamba has closed its doors in this city, at least for a little while, i have void in my life for frozen fruit drinks. Any suggestions- I've had and was not too impressed with raindrop(forest?) cafe's offerings. Please somebody?

Make your own ... here's one that's quick and simple:

Banana-Cocoa Soy Smoothie

1 banana

½ cup silken tofu

½ cup soymilk

2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder

1 Tbs (+/-) honey

Slice banana and freeze until firm. Blend tofu, soymilk, cocoa, and honey until smooth. Add banana slices through hole in blender lid and continue blending until smooth.

I make fruit smoothies frequently. Don't follow any real recipes. Often I'll blend together papaya, mango, OJ, maybe a banana ... set your imagination free.

she

... Shel

Well now that Jamba has closed its doors in this city, at least for a little while, i have void in my life for frozen fruit drinks. Any suggestions- I've had and was not too impressed with raindrop(forest?) cafe's offerings. Please somebody?

Not the best... but Planet Smoothie in Doylestown is ok.

The best fruit smoothies are in RTM. It's the juice bar next to Shanghai Gourmet and across from the tea stand. I think it's called Four Seasons juices but I am not really sure. They only use fruit, veggies and ice. I like them better than Jamba Juice. In fact I pretty much gave up jamba juice when I discovered them... I didn't even know JJ closed.

Four Seasons's juices are really good... but sometimes I just want a Jamba Juice-style smoothie. The styles, as Rae mentioned, are totally different.

Jamba Juice in the Whole Foods at 10th and South is closed? What happened? I feel like Philadelphia doesn't get the whole California-style smoothie thing -- Amazon and Rainforest whatever are nowhere near as good. Sorry I didn't answer your question, boggah -- it's because I don't know of any good substitutes for my beloved Jamba!

Jamba Juice in the Whole Foods at 10th and South is closed? What happened? I feel like Philadelphia doesn't get the whole California-style smoothie thing -- Amazon and Rainforest whatever are nowhere near as good. Sorry I didn't answer your question, boggah -- it's because I don't know of any good substitutes for my beloved Jamba!

I don't know if something happened on the Jamba Juice end, but the Whole Foods had a sign up that they were moving it out to make room for more prepared foods. Then they proceeded to demo it while the store was open. Lovely.

Marathon Grill has smoothies that are more like frozen yogurt shakes, but sometimes that's what you want. They have some that are all fruit too.

Yeah word at the store was that Jamba did not renew its contract with whole foods and would be pursuing traditional franchise locations like they have nationwide. I sure hope that comes to fruition (intended). Thx for the recipe Shel- gonna hafta give that one a shot-

The JJ space at Whole Foods is now occupied by a coffee bar.  Which is especially irritating because there are so many places to get coffee in the immediate vicinity, but nowhere to get fresh juice.

They've been selling coffee from the right half of the JJ space for at least the four years I've been shopping there (you can also "check-out" there if you just have a couple of items). I don't know how much coffee business they actually do there... but it's really convenient when I'm picking up a car share car from the garage upstairs in the AM :biggrin:

jumping in here a bit late but just wanted to add the the soy cafe in northern liberties makes tasty smoothies, with many varieties to choose from. they are on 2nd street, between spring garden and fairmount.