• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fort lauderdale dinner recommendation please

jtphjl

Due to a flight change, will be in the Pompano Beach / Fort Lauderdale area one more night.

Dinned at Johnny V, tonight - enjoyedd every mouthful beginning with the tapas for two, followed by the Florida Dolphine (for me) roasted half chicekn (husband) --

a flight change will keep us here for another dinner -

Have had wonderful meals in the not so distant past at Casa D' Angelo, Cafe Max, Cayon and Seasons 52...looking for something new, fresh fish, or outstanding Spanish/Cuban. Have been disappointed in Trinas

Read a great review for Victoria Park and then discovered it closed, and today heard about Jeff's Beach House Grill, however not through anyone with personal experience --

Any recommendations - great seafood, outstanding cuban cuisine, or less known-local favorites?

Thanks,

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

jeff's beach house grill - 4140 n. federal highway 954 565-3337 www.opentable.com

Wonderful choice! We learned this restaurant opened 9 weeks ago and will be broadcasted on the Food Network's, "Check Please" tomorrow night. The wait staff told us the restaurant went through a transformation from an English pub to a very light, beach house look (not located on the water!) The chef led, "Ireland's Own" not a place on my radar.

My husband began with a Pale Ale, Key West ($5.00), I had a non offensive but poor choice after reviewing the wine list, Laurent Split ($15.00)

The atmosphere is light, inviting and active bar opposite entrance. Seating is table and booth. I was a little surprised to see a limited child's menu (Kobe 4 ounce burgers, mac-n-cheese) and althought there was a table with a well behaved pint size person, I suspect the child's menu is more active during the lunch service.

We began with a well dressed, anchovey seasoned caesar salad ($4.00 small plate to share) and an outstanding humus with fresh toasted pita appetizer ($6.00).

I ordered the crab cake dinner ($24.), two healthy portions of fresh crab, airy, light, moist minus any trace of bread binding, aside of crisp yet pale fries, crisp snow peas and lettuce with fresh shavings of parm. cheese the annointed the caesar.

My husband opted for the mango half slabs of ribs ($12.), meaty, moist, with a large baked potato and extra sour cream as requested. His plate was garnished with the same crisp snow peas that had accompanied my crab cakes.

The Tuesday night special was fried chicken the table next to us had especially arrived for, the aroma was enchanting!

We declined coffee, tea, after dinner drinks yet shared a serving of the Key Lime Pie ($4.) with no regrets! Light, refreshing flavor, trace of coconut over a thin graham crust.

Total for two, $74.20 plus tip.

Wait staff, young, eager to serve and in time will hopefully be more familar and comfortable with the menu.

jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler