• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recs for a Solo Lunch at the Bar

In London for just a couple of days and looking for a recommendation for a solo lunch spot where I can eat at the bar. I want something quintessentially London, that's not so easy to find in New York. Already went to Saint John this trip, so cross that off the list. I'd prefer a place with great food, great ambience, and something more than just a very crowded pub or gastropub (been to the Eagle). Somewhere you can relax at the bar and order a great meal. I'm based near Smithfield's Market but could move around. Thanks for your help.

Arbutus in Soho (very popular at the moment and has good chatty bar staff).

Sullen barman on my one visit to Arbutus. And it wasn't too clean. Maybe it was just an off-day.

If you're in Smithfield, how about Vinoteca at the end of St John street? They're friendly, chatty, really passionate about their wine and match it by the glass to the food.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up going to Bentley's. Loved the atmosphere, oysters were great. Main was so so--backed pollack with cauliflower and cheese. About 50 pounds with two drinks. I'd go back for the oysters and the atmosphere and try something else as a main.