• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth in advertising or

Porthos

A friend of ours took a class on stand-up comedy and had her debut (along with other students) at a restaurant in mid-Orange County. A group of her friend including us went to see her and outside of seeing her do her thing had a generally poor time. Although not the restaurant's fault the evening was capped off by another customer who was part of a surprize party coming to our table and asking us to leave because the guest of honor was arriving soon and they needed our table moved!

But the topic I want to get input on is this: Five of us were seated at one table and we poured over the menu (this was a new place to all of us) and since service was a bit slow we had ample time to make up our minds. When I ordered my Garden Vegetable Pizza our server informed us that they were out of all the varieties of pizzzas and then named other things on the menu that they were out of (it wan't but maybe 7:30 at the latest). Fortunately for me I had been interested in another dish and was served that. Here's the question: should the server have told us the things they were out of when presenting the menu? I can't believe for the life of me that they ran out of so much food between seating us and taking our orders.

The five of us all agreed that we would not care to dine there again since, except for my meal, the food was not very interesting: the fresh fruit offered was still rock-hard unripe, for instance.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Should the server have told us the things they were out of when presenting the menu?  I can't believe for the life of me that they ran out of so much food between seating us and taking our orders.

By all means -- however, many times a hostess is the one doing the seating and he/she rarely has that much interaction with the kitchen to know what items are running short. Very often those same hostesses/hosts are hired as pleasing eye candy and their vapid little minds can't conceive of anything beyond table placement.

What's up with the party asking you guys to leave?

The concensous (sp?) at our table was that she had already started partying before arriving. It was, to my old guy way of thinking, typical of the "it's all about me" behavior that seems to be ever-increasing coupled with lowered social inhibition. Just my take... I don't hold the restaurant responsible for her actions.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Very often those same hostesses/hosts are hired as pleasing eye candy and their vapid little minds can't conceive of anything beyond table placement.

Or sometimes, we're too old to remember what the kitchen called 86 from 10 minutes ago. In our dining room, the server would advise the "out of" items when greeting the table and taking drink orders. Theoretically speaking

Karen Dar Woon