• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Fried Chicken Joints in NYC

Melissa Hom

so this thread just inspired me to get BonBon takeout for lunch. I didn't have any problem with the taciturn waitstaff.

the chicken was good...ordered the "spicy" box...as you would expect, it wasn't actually spicy, but the flavor was good and the skin crispy. (what's up with the plain white rice accompaniment though? why bother? I just tossed it.)

but I'd still pick the fish and chips place on Church and Reade as being the best fried food option in the area.

Edited by Nathan (log)

so this thread just inspired me to get BonBon takeout for lunch.  I didn't have any problem with the taciturn waitstaff.

the chicken was good...ordered the "spicy" box...as you would expect, it wasn't actually spicy, but the flavor was good and the skin crispy.  (what's up with the plain white rice accompaniment though?  why bother?  I just tossed it.)

but I'd still pick the fish and chips place on Church and Reade as being the best fried food option in the area.

I grabbed a quick lunch at BonBon after my closing this morning (actually, I walked from 180 Maiden Lane to BonBon in the wind and rain so that I could taste this stuff before going back to my office). I got four drumsticks (spicy) and the bun. The drumsticks were really yummy. Huge and very filling. Not too spicy. Really nicely fried. I could only eat three. The bun was extremely buttery and sweet- almost a donut consistency. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with it. I assume that the rice is meant for the shrimp??

the box gives you a choice of rice or the bun. obviously I chose wrong.

I wasn't necessarily recommending the bun, but I'm not much of a sweet roll person. It does seem like the better option of the two, though neither is the least bit necessary.

Kyochon takes the cake. And BonChon swipes the icing. Some feel deceived, but I personally love the air pocket between the skin and chicken meat that both the establishments achieve. Those precious millimeters of distance are the breath of the drumstick/wing to me - strongly aromatic and bonding both the method of a good steam and a good deep-fry.

You've squeezed my indecisiveness out of me, happy?

Very happy. I know it was painful, but you've done us all a great and informative service! Thank you.

the box gives you a choice of rice or the bun. obviously I chose wrong.

I wasn't necessarily recommending the bun, but I'm not much of a sweet roll person. It does seem like the better option of the two, though neither is the least bit necessary.

The buns are good if you like that sort of thing. They sort of remind me of Hawaiian bread, which I happen to like.