• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot dog helper

pennbrew

Yup, paper plates. I want to keep dishwashing to a minimum.

The photo at the top is from Germany. Yes, that roll sure does look good. In my experience the bread in Europe is always better than what you'd find in an equivalent setting in the US.

I'm still searching for an acceptable roll. I did find what appears to be a good source of real German mustard:

5 kg tubs of mustard

---Guy

i don't claim to know much about the restaurant business, but i do know a lot about business in general...

you are in the beer business first and foremost...

i would serve the extreme traditional german dogs w/ a custom made roll .....

it doesn't matter how cashy it gets, because the food was only there to allow for the sale of beer,,,

if i was there to drink and buy specialty beer, why would i not be interested in a special and authentic snack to go w/ that beer.....

simplicity with quality for the win.......

i like your original idea.....

Don't discount the food as a source of income. Given your minimal labour costs (you are already there anyway) and that you probably get the hot dogs pretty cheap if you buy in bulk, you can get pretty good margins on hot dog sales.

I've no idea how much you can sell a hot dog with some condiments for in a US bar (USD 4-5?), but it will be perhaps 50-75% profit. Dogs won't cannibalize on your other product (beer), but will perhaps even increase beer sales (people stay for another beer). See it as a free source of extra cash!

i dont get it, pardon me. you want to open a brewery, yet you dont want to encourage people to come around because your said customers are 'a pain in the ass'? further more you wouldnt want people to linger about and instead have a beer, buy something and go?

i dont understand this sales approach. at all.

.jedi pocky.

yum...

i dont get it, pardon me. you want to open a brewery, yet you dont want to encourage people to come around because your said customers are 'a pain in the ass'? further more you wouldnt want people to linger about and instead have a beer, buy something and go?

sarcasm and gum chewing are both illegal in singapore?!

gallery_15947_2995_11286.jpg

My question, is this too foreign/strange for Americans?

In that you're not too far from Pennsylvania Dutch country, I'm surprised that you even have to ask that. I think you just showed what most people there eat for breakfast!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

sarcasm and gum chewing are both illegal in singapore?!

pardonnez moi. but i really didnt see the sarcasm in his posts though i certainly did in yours. kindaly explain to the imbecile here? i merely asked a question. and politely.

.jedi pocky.

yum...

• 4 weeks later...

I'M OPEN!!

Had a "soft opening" the past 2 weekends, here's a picture of the first beer(s) sold by One Guy Brewing Company:

gallery_15947_2995_9718.jpg

Unfortunately car trouble has limited my mobility so I haven't been able to get the German-style dogs yet. So for the moment it's standard American-style dogs.

Grand Opening is the 26th.

---Guy

P.S. Yes, the "nuisance" comment was an (obviously lame) attempt at a joke.

Edited by pennbrew (log)

Looks great -- congratulations and good luck. One thought, though -- you may want to do something about those fluorescent lights. Always a mood killer; makes you feel like you're in a church basement.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Seeing that you're an artisan working a beloved craft, don't sell yourself short on the business end of it.

People love cheap food. If the quality is there and the price low, you'll make money on hot dogs because of the low margin involved. I'd also make them available to-go for the lunch crowd. Best of luck !!!

- Jimmy

Typos are Copyrighted @

Guy! Looks great! I like the idea of the German-style dog/wurst sans bun and dipped in mustard. Perhaps instead of the roll, a Pennsylvania-Dutch style pretzel?

Use your pizza dough to make soft pretzels! or get a local artisan bakery to make 'em for you!

Can't wait to visit and try your beer!

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Smoked sausage would be great and smoked venison sausage would be good too. You have to have a local butcher that can fix you up with some smoked sausage. A big jar of pickled eggs?

Edited by JimH (log)

Good luck, Guy! What is your address? I'm on vacation next week and I might make the trip to your place. Nothing I like better than hot dogs and beer. By the way, would the person 3rd from the left in the picture happen to be Dave Hoffman? I know him well; he taught me how to homebrew. What beers are on tap? And you sell 6 packs?

John the hot dog guy