• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can Champagne Fly?

Vaughan

I"m in San Francisco with 40,000 of my closest friends for the Oracle conference, and just had an excellent bottle of 1997 Claude Carre Cuvee Passion Champagne. I'd like to take a few bottles home, but with flight restrictions I'd have to take it home in the (I assume unpressurized) cargo hold of the aiplane...any chance it'll explode?

Thx,

Vaughan

My wife and I just returned from SFO and in one bag we had 3 bottles of wine, 2 olive oils, and a balsamic vinegar (although we didn't have any fizzy wines). I think as long as you wrap them in clothes (or bubble wrap would be great) and have a hard or semi hard side bag, you'll be fine.

We used to fly back to Cairo from Cyprus and Greece with around two dozen or more bottles of wine. There was never a problem (although I have my wife do the packing), and that was in the 80's.

Customs: clink! clink! What's this?

Us: wine

Customs: clink! clink! And this?

Us: more wine

Customs: clink! clink! What is wrong?! We have wine in Egypt!

Us: would you drink it?

Customs: go ahead.