• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sugar-Free Thanksgiving Desserts?

Batuta

Hi. I'd appreciate your help on this one.

We recently learned that an elderly family member's blood sugar is very high; she'll soon be getting daily insulin injections. She's a bit frail, so we don't want to take any chances with her diet.

It seems there may be several Thanksging dessert options:

- Serve a seasonal fruit plate (perhaps sliced pears, almonds and gorgonzola or cantal?)

- Serve a sugar-free pumpkin pie or cheesecake (using Splenda) - if they're any good.

- Skip dessert altogether and make another side dish

What are your thoughts? Have you had any luck with sugar-free substitutes for baking? If so, what recipes or sources have have worked for you?

Both pumpkin pie and cheesecake made with Splenda are very good. The pumpkin pie is indistinguishable in flavor from the real thing, though the cheesecake needs a little perking up with other flavors. You can just substitute Splenda Granular in your favorite recipe, or PM me for recipes. :biggrin:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

If you like tart apples -- and I do -- you can do very well with an apple pie. I've been making them for my husband for years. He can't have sugar but tolerates barley malt syrup well. Just toss some in with the apple chunks, a little lemon juice, bit of salt, cinnamon and other seasonings, flour or other thickener and bake as usual. Of course, no sugar in the crust but it really is fine without. You might also investigate and of the fruit juice concentrates that are out there.

I also used Splenda recently for a rustic pear tart and it worked fine.

If the fruit is good, the dessert will be too.

Good luck.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

When I and a couple of others in my office were low-carbing it an office mate made this cheesecake:

Cheesecake Recipe from Atkins Website

I thought it was quite delicious. It was summer at the time so she just topped with with fresh blueberries and strawberries, but at this time of the year how about topping the cheesecake with a puree of unsweetned berries perked up with some Splenda and a bit of fresh lemon juice? Also, I would suggest adding a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice to the recipe above in addition to the zest. The crust is primarily made of nuts (no graham cracker crumbs) and was delicious also.

The sugar substitute recommended by this website is Splenda for these reasons. (Scroll down the page until you get to the Sweetners section.)

Enjoy. :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!