• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ramsaywatch UK

However I'm not sure I agree that ONLY gas fired stoves would be hot enough to cook a steak, as Jan Moir suggests. Surely anything can make a griddle pan hot enough, even a halogen or electric hob, given enough time?

I certainly don't agree with this, I don't have gas at home. I'm using, and not through choice, Halogen hobs and they can get more than hot enough to cook a steak, I think rather than challenges, the lack of gas brings excuses!

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that they hoped this was going to be the first airport restaurant to gain a michelin star? :hmmm:

One would have to add "in Britain". There is other airport restaurants with Michelin stars abroad, in Stuttgart / Germany for example.

Last weekend I read in the Times that Ramsay wanted to focus his efforts on "fixing Pétrus". Does anybody happen to know what went wrong there? From my point of view, this used to be his second strongest restaurant in London. At times, it was very hard to get a table there, specially for weekend dinners.

Last weekend I read in the Times that Ramsay wanted to focus his efforts on "fixing Pétrus". Does anybody happen to know what went wrong there? From my point of view, this used to be his second strongest restaurant in London. At times, it was very hard to get a table there, specially for weekend dinners.

i tried to get a table at petrus for dinner in april and unless i wanted to eat at 1030 the earliest i could get was the 3rd week of may which suggests not much needs fixing?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

i tried to get a table at petrus for dinner in april and unless i wanted to eat at 1030 the earliest i could get was the 3rd week of may which suggests not much needs fixing?

I tried in January to get a table in march exactly 2 months away and i was told i could only get a 10.30 table! It was a saturday night but still.

I don't mean to go off topic but i do find it odd in London that you can get a table at some 2 *'s easily enough but other equally well regarded restaurants seem to be very difficult indeed. Is it perhaps because Petrus leave a lot of tables aside for certain people?

I tried in January to get a table in march exactly 2 months away and i was told i could only get a 10.30 table! It was a saturday night but still.

I don't mean to go off topic but i do find it odd in London that you can get a table at some 2 *'s easily enough but other equally well regarded restaurants seem to be very difficult indeed. Is it perhaps because Petrus leave a lot of tables aside for certain people?

They only have about 14 tables or so at petrus if memory serves me right - although having said that the capital can't be much bigger?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Ramsay's comment about wanting to fix Petrus is driven purely by his personal feud with Marcus.

He needs to fix RHR and return it to a true 3 star level before worrying about Petrus. I suspect Marcus will break free of GR Holdings before too long.

Ramsay's comment about wanting to fix Petrus is driven purely by his personal feud with Marcus.

He needs to fix RHR and return it to a true 3 star level before worrying about Petrus. I suspect Marcus will break free of GR Holdings before too long.

Hang on Andy - 'true 3 star level' is just when Michelin decide to give a restaurant 3 stars. And as RHR has 3 stars right now, I'm not sure there's much that Ramsay feels he needs to change.

I wouldn't condone the "it's a 3 star restaurant because it's a 3 star restaurant" approach. Where's the fun in that?!

I'm sure you'd agree that it's open to any restaurant goer to suggest that a 3 star restaurant doesn't deserve its 3 stars. And its virtually accepted in the industry that it's very hard to lose that third star; or rather, the demotion comes years after it was warranted.

As a Londoner, I just find it sad to see the decline in standards at RHR. I have said it elsewhere on here, but my early meals there (2002) were stunning. But two meals last year were lacklustre.

I agree though - until michelin agrees with me (and I don't think I'm the only one), there's no incentive to focus any serious attention on the flagship!

I agree though - until michelin agrees with me (and I don't think I'm the only one), there's no incentive to focus any serious attention on the flagship!

I suppose that's the problem with Gordon Ramsay Inc. - as long as he can still call himself a 3-Michelin starred chef (despite the fact he hasn't been in the kitchens at RHR for years, as far as anyone knows) then his opinions and - more importantly - other business ventures carry that much more weight.

I agree though, that RHR is probably due a demotion soon. Based on my last meal it's only just pushing 2* standard. The Square is better.

They only have about 14 tables or so at petrus if memory serves me right - although having said that the capital can't be much bigger?

Ah I thought it was bigger than that. I found it easy enough to get a table at the square in comparison with about 3 weeks notice for a saturday evening, I'm guessing the dining room is bigger?

There's more about it *here* on the Telegraph site ... :hmmm:

April fools day joke guys :raz:

Y'know, I sometimes wonder if its worth putting links in posts, since people really don't seem to click on them... :rolleyes:

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

naebody

What is your investment banking relationship with GRH?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ....

Who are the business brains behind Ramsay's business plan?

You mean apart from me?

Chris Hutcheson, Ramsay's father-in-law, is CEO.