• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creme fraiche, etc.

Aria

Just wanted to know if any of you use creme fraiche in your truffles and if so where do you get it from...or do you make it yourself at home?

Also, I've heard that 40% creme like what you get in France is so much better than the usual 35% grocery store whipping creme. Does any one use the 40%? Thanks!

I have made Creme fraiche at home using Julia Child's recipe. Very easy. Delicious!

Haven't used it in chocolates, though.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I have made Creme fraiche at home using Julia Child's recipe.  Very easy.  Delicious!

Haven't used it in chocolates, though.

Creme faiche is very easy to make, you just have to plan ahead for truffles. It gives them a "twangy" taste.

Edited by mrose (log)

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Can anyone tell us how to make it? You can't get it here where I live.

Thanks!

Mix a couple of tbsps of buttermilk into 2 cups of creme. Let it sit overnight on the counter until it thickens. When ready put in frig for 4 - 6 hours until cold.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Here's one:

1 ounce sour cream or buttermilk

2 cups heavy cream

stir sour cream into heavy cream and let stand at 80-90 degrees for about 24 hours. Store, covered, in refrigerator. I use a canning jar.

In the summer, I just put it outside or somewhere not air conditioned where I know it's warm enough. In colder weather, I use a cheap plastic cooler with a lamp clamped on the side, the bulb part bent inside the cooler (40 or 60 watt bulb) loosely covered. Get a cheap plastic thermometer and set next to the jar to make sure the temp stays around what you want. Check it periodically, give it a shake. When it's the consistency you want, put it in the refrigerator.

Edited by devlin (log)

how different is creme fraiche from Mexican crema?

i think mexican crema (agrilla, sp?) is more like sour cream than creme fraiche. based on mouthfeel, mexican crema isn't as rich as creme fraiche. creme fraiche is based on heavy cream (when you make it at home, you add a touch of buttermilk to heavy cream and let it sit for 24-48 hours to thicken) and is whippable to a wonderful consistency for desserts. can you whip crema?

how different is creme fraiche from Mexican crema?

i think mexican crema (agrilla, sp?) is more like sour cream than creme fraiche. based on mouthfeel, mexican crema isn't as rich as creme fraiche. creme fraiche is based on heavy cream (when you make it at home, you add a touch of buttermilk to heavy cream and let it sit for 24-48 hours to thicken) and is whippable to a wonderful consistency for desserts. can you whip crema?

don't know. I haven't tried.

But thanks for the explanation. I've never had creme fraiche before. (at least, not at home). The Mexican Crema I have is a little thinnder than normal sour cream. It's actually slightly pourable.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 1 year later...

I am trying to make some creme fraiche. So, I added 1 T of buttermilk to 1 cup of heavy cream. It immediately took on a look like I had added some vinegar or lemon juice to the cream...little clots of cream.

Left overnight on the counter and this morning it doesn't look much better. I stirred it and it basically is no thicker than the cream was. My kitchen is cool at night - probably between 65 - 70 degrees.

Does it just need more time? Should I heat the cream first before adding the buttermilk? Should this go into my oven with the light on?

Any help will be appreciated.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Have just been reading through this thread and was quite curious about it. I've never had creme fraiche...don't really know what it is.

However, in Ice Cream: The Whole Scoop by Gail Damerow is a recipe for making sour cream which I tried and liked. Basically you add 1 TBSP of butter milk to one cup of heavy cream and keep it warm for 24 - 38 hours. I used the oven light. This is sour cream.

Other recipes call it creme fraiche. Curious... :hmmm:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I am trying to make some creme fraiche.  So, I added 1 T of buttermilk to 1 cup of heavy cream.  It immediately took on a look like I had added some vinegar or lemon juice to the cream...little clots of cream.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi,

That looks like a problem with your buttermilk or cream. You should not get any curdling when you mix buttermilk with cream.

Tim