• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Snobbery

stellabella

How about Pinter or Mamet dialogue?

OK I'll bite ...

GUEST: Waiter I

SERVER: Yes?

G: I

S: You would like

G: Yes

S: To

G: To decant

S: The Burgundy

G: The Burgundy

S: The '85?

G: The '85?

S: Yes, the '85 for

G: The main course

S: The entree?

G: No. (pause) Wait. Yes but I thought

S: You thought?

G: I thought entree meant ...

S: You mean in Europe. In the European model then.

G: I guess so.

S: With the lamb then? With your ...

G: With my ...

S: Lamb.

G: Yes please.

S: I

G: You

S: I understand

G: So do I

S: You do? (pause) Yes. I think. you do

G: Good.

S: Yes. Good.

(Bux)I wish I could remember Deacon's posts in other threads for I sense a limited experience in what food and wine has to offer.

That's mostly a function of my empty pockets right now. Don't worry, as soon as I'm flush I'll be blowing my money on good food and good wine again. :smile:

(Bux)I do not sense a dull palate or a man unappreciative of what he's tasted to date.

Why, thankee. I've learned a lot from just being here. :bow:

(Bux). . . red wine with even simpler fish dishes . . . I sense a defensiveness in these posts that may come from a sense of not knowing the rules as much as a distrust of rules and rule makers. . . .

Well, I may have been mildly pissed at Plotnicki at the time. Actually, it WAS delicious, I'm not just reflexively defending a poor choice because it was MY choice. My exact thought process was nothing more than "spicy food, spicy wine." If I'd had white wine the sauce would've completely overpowered it. And you're right, Bux, I've had pinot noir with tuna and with salmon and enjoyed both combinations. But they're red-fleshed fishes.

(Plotnicki). . . Mamet dialogue . . .

Customer: Can I get a fucking steak here?

Waiter: Yessir. And how do you want your fucking steak cooked?

C: Medium fucking rare.

W: (writing it down) Medium fucking rare.

C: And some fucking french fries.

W: (writing it down) Yessir. And to drink?

C: I'll have a bottle of the Opus Motherfucking One, nineteen-ninety.

W: Shall I fucking bring it out now?

C: Yes, it'll fucking open up in the glass. And hurry it up, I've got tickets to see Glengarry Glen Ross this evening.

W: That's a GREAT fucking play. I'll have your fucking steak out as soon as fucking possible.

C: Thanks. Fuck off.

Chris - That was good Pinter. I think Mamet's dialogue is a bit more expansive;

Waiter: Would you like to drink with with your fish?

Guest: The Burgundy

Waiter: You mean the White Burgundy.

Guest: No the red Burgundy I drank when I was here yesterday when the weird shit happened to me.

Waiter: Weird shit, what weird shit is that sir?

Guest: You know the weird shit that happened yesterday when you were dressed as the linen delivery guy and the coat check girl was the waiter and the chef was the policeman standing in front of the restaurant. In fact yesterday this place was an Italian restaurant and today it's a French restaurant.

Waiter: I don't know what you're talking about sir. I was never the linen delivery guy and this place has been a French restaurant for the last 30 years.

Guess: Never mind, I'll have the Charmes-Chambertin with my filet of sole.

So I have been at USC twice since you went there and both times you weren't there. Where the hell were you?

There is no mountain, it's a plain.

Deacon, I'm with you, but I do believe there is ONE mountain: not everyone in this world has many choices available to him about where he lives, in what type of dwelling, what he eats, how often, what he wears, etc., etc., etc. But everyone in this world has choices open to him in regards to how he treats others. People who [as] consistently [as possible] make choices to treat others well stand atop the mountain.

So back to my original post: do you treat people differently, i.e. poorly, as a result of the foods that they eat? If you do, than you're a snob. Right? In fact, you're more than a snob--you're an asshole.

Could this possibly be true about any of us? I WANT to think, NO. Prove me correct.

Why don't we all just go to bed now?

But that depends on what you mean by "treat poorly."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Plotonic ideal?

What else would the practice of Plotnickiism be called?

Expensive.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I know. :wink:

I really don't think that Steve is a snob.

And then the Yvonne Johnson ideal could be that gastronomic incompetancy is sufficient.

Sorry about that, but if you would like to keep personalizing this and keep ratcheting up the ad hominem attacks I can keep going if you would like  :wink:.

Oh, this is nothing personal. I'm just saying you are wrong. That, of course, isn't a value judgement.

Gastronomic incompetence? But now you've mentioned it, this might interest you...I was dining with many experts in the food world the other night and they all agreed (and my private correspondence with others in the food industry concurs) that someone with a sophisticated palate and good taste must love game and offal of all sorts. This preference is a necessary condition of having a true appreciation of food. The idea that a purported arbiter of taste had an untrained palate in this regard made one in my company fall off his chair.

Who is a purported arbiter of good taste? I just make claims to be able to offer a fairly expert opinion in those areas I understand and have experience in. You are free to agree or not. I make no claims for my overall abilites, especially in areas I don't know. I just wish others would adopt the same standard as I. We would have a hell of a lot less arguing going on around there.

I just wish others would adopt the same standard as I. We would have a hell of a lot less arguing going on around there.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You see, Steve. This is where you can get into trouble because it can be easily read as what you don't intend to say.

Jin - It really doesn't make a difference. Those who are on my side of the issue will read it favorably. And those who are against me will insist on reading it with the wrong inferences attached. And those who don't understand the inference, but who have no personal agenda, will ask what the inference is before they disagree. You can tell who is who by what happens next. Yvonne will draw the wrong inference 100% of the time.

Finally caught up with this thread, and how puzzling it all is.

Steve P. is wrong about so many things ( :raz: ), I can't understand why you all pick on him on the odd occasion he's right. Every one of us, I suspect, when we're not anxiously worrying about the principle of the thing, believes that some ways of eating, and some food and beverage combinations, are right and proper, while others are not. To take the position that a preference for curry with custard (to use my earlier example) is no more or less correct than a preference for curry with rice, is, I suspect, to adopt a posture. The interesting questions lie in the extent to which the standard we do, in truth apply, can be rigorously defended, and whence they derive. But if there's no agreement that any standards whatsoever exist, we can't progress to the interesting stuff.

And I can't resist expressing amazement at Deacon's challenge. I would guess I have about 1% of Steve's wine knowledge, but all things being equal I would expect to identify the main varietals in a blind tasting, and to be able to guess country of origin more than half the time. What's supposed to be so difficult?