• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The PC Insider's guide

CaliPoutine

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Its that time of year again......

They're are a lot of new products and some returning products from as way back as 1993.( A memories of mushroom sauce)

eG member Pookie bought the new sea salt caramels and I sampled one over at her place. I enjoyed them, but we both felt the salt grains were too big.

I tried one of the new imported from Italy fresh filled pastas( expensive @ 3.99 for 250 grams). I bought the tomato/basil/ricotta flavor. I served it with sauteed scallops and homemade pesto. A nice meal for 2 ppl for 8.50!!

The PC version of Toblerone is good. I made a fondue with it last year. Its a bargain @ 3.99 for 400grams.

As per usual, there are tons of frozen appies for the holidays as well as lots of condiments.

Have you tried any of the new products?

I saw a commercial on TV last night for individual frozen salmon "Wellingtons." Normally not the sort of thing I'd buy, but my partner has fond memories of the full-sized version. More importantly, they're made with Marine Stewardship Council-certified salmon, and I'm happy to support that, so we might pick some up.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

All I've tried so far are the sea-salt caramels and I agree with you -- the salt is too big. Having said that, I wonder if it's because of the chocolate. If the salt was on the caramel itself (with no chocolate?) I think it would be better.

Not terrible, but not great.

I saw a commercial on TV last night for individual frozen salmon "Wellingtons." Normally not the sort of thing I'd buy, but my partner has fond memories of the full-sized version. More importantly, they're made with Marine Stewardship Council-certified salmon, and I'm happy to support that, so we might pick some up.

Yes. . . I saw that enticing ad. Weston Corp. knows what buttons to push and when -- more power to them. I want to try them, and I'm pro-farm when it comes to Atlantic salmon. In my experience, for every excellent PC product there are one or two disasters. Still, the proof is in the pudding.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I've tried the PC salsa verde and though it was fine. (It's very mild.) Certainly easier to source than going to the Mexican grocer. Although it does have an unusual amount of burnt tomatilla skin. I assume (hope) that it's there on purpose.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

For a frozen product, the bread pudding is quite delicious. Their new gourmet jelly beans are great, as is the new "Best Ever" lasagna. Their Butter Chicken is good, too.

But most of all, their 100% Valencia Orange Juice, and 100% Pure Pineapple Juice are really the only two products that bring me into a Loblaws store.

• 1 month later...

The Dulce de Leche cheesecake was a bit sad. The Dulce de Leche was delicious but the crust was cakey and super thick. There was barely any cheesecake to be found. I think they should have called it a Dulce de Leche cake with cream cheese centre...because that is more accurate. I won't be buying it again unless they change the ratio of cheese to crust.

At somebody's house I was served the PC Rosemary Leg of Lamb from a box. It's frozen, seasoned, partially boned, from New Zealand and around $25.

The experience was good, but you can get a lot more lamb if you just buy a frozen NZ leg. And I really, really, really hate tossing those strong waxy boxes.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Loblaws, Superstore, No Frills, Extra Foods, Fortinos, The Real Canadian Wholesale Club and Dominion (who knew?) are all part of the company .

You didn't know because it isn't true. Dominion is part of A&P, along with Food Basics and Ultramart.

d.

I remember when we used to have Dominion stores in Winnipeg, and I assumed they were a different company. But according to the website, the Dominions in Atlantic Canada are part of the company.

This Wiki entry also lists it as part of the company:

In Newfoundland, Dominion is the primary brand name of the major-market supermarkets of Loblaw Companies Limited, Canada's largest food retailer, which uses that brand name under licence.

Wow, forgot about those. I remember the Dominion at Grant Park, sandwiched between the Gambles and Mikey D's....

Edited by lutefisky (log)