• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving conundrum

jupe

Between my vegan daughter who hates mushrooms and my kosher husband who hates mushrooms, Thanksgiving became a hellacious experience for me who enjoys cooking for this holiday ...

I stuff acorn squash with cranberries and apples poached in port ... they eat the fruit-filled vegetables and I drink the port .. end of anxiety ... :wink:

gallery_10011_1589_12714.jpg

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Throw in a gluten allergy and a lactose intolerant and I think I would have thrown in the towel. Look like you have been given a lot of good suggestions. Funny we will have 100+ close family members come Thanksgiving day, (not at my house), so those with special requests keep it to themselves.

Also, Julia Child's potato and leek soup would be lovely at thanksgiving.  It's just equal parts sliced potatoes and leeks, plus water to cover, and salt.  Simmer until everything's soft, then puree in a blender or better yet, with a stick blender, leaving some good chunks.  Adjust salt and stir in cream, sour cream, or butter.  Couldn't be easier and you can make it ahead of time and reheat it.

i make this all the time -- add a medium/big pinch of curry powder at the end. it adds a very subtle flavour and depth.

my daughter decided at age 14 to "Be A Vegetarian For A Year", starting in September. What we did was: make stuffing outside of the turkey, and omit bacon/sausage or other dead animals; make sure that there were enough sides that she could "eat something" and my mother didn't harass anyone; have a dairy-free dessert, as she and my sis are both lactose intolerant. I thought we had it pretty easy... they can both eat eggs and wheat.

If you're concerned about whether the non egg eating veggies get protein in their meal, then you could have a quinoa/lentil/bean salad w/ a vinagrette dressing. Make lots, the meat eaters will eat it, too.

Karen Dar Woon