• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bakery packaging products

devlin

I'm looking for sources for packaging bakery products such as cakes, cookies, breads, etc. Attractive bags for cookies and breads. Nice boxes and wrapping for cakes.

Is this for a special occasion? Or are you looking to upgrade your choices? Depending on the quantity prices can be really high or lower with price breaks for high numbers.

I've used Glerup-Revere in the past and really got good results for lower quantities.

For bakery specific items I'd choose Qualita they are sometimes a bit difficult to understand on the phone, but I've never been disappointed with their service and quality.

When I needed larger quantities I've worked with a west coat based firm called Marfred They did custom packaging and it was reasonably priced. However, we were ordering in the 20 to 40 thousand quantity range when we chose to go with Marfred.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you choose when you make the decision.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

• 1 year later...

So I just bought THESE clear cubes to sell my pastries in (mostly 3" mousses, etc) and they are sexy as hell, allow me to display in the freezer or cooler (and counter although I haven't yet), in other words I love them. Except one thing. How the hell is the customer supposed to get the dessert out of the box?! You can't. We had to open the bottom and carefully pull the dessert out - and you know how fragile mousse is. I'll keep using them for now, but its apparently not my solution.

So I just bought THESE clear cubes to sell my pastries in (mostly 3" mousses, etc) and they are sexy as hell, allow me to display in the freezer or cooler (and counter although I haven't yet), in other words I love them.  Except one thing.  How the hell is the customer supposed to get the dessert out of the box?!  You can't.  We had to open the bottom and carefully pull the dessert out - and you know how fragile mousse is.  I'll keep using them for now, but its apparently not my solution.

Would you recommend the clear cubes for, say, macarons?

Yes and in fact I'm packaging cookies in them right now, and I've been thinking it would be fun to do a marshmallow cube in there - 3 x 3 x 3 of choc, vanilla and straw...or something like that, to make it look like a rubics cube.

So I just bought THESE clear cubes to sell my pastries in (mostly 3" mousses, etc) and they are sexy as hell, allow me to display in the freezer or cooler (and counter although I haven't yet), in other words I love them.  Except one thing.  How the hell is the customer supposed to get the dessert out of the box?!  You can't.  We had to open the bottom and carefully pull the dessert out - and you know how fragile mousse is.  I'll keep using them for now, but its apparently not my solution.

Wow. Some really nice stuff there. Is it my imagination, or is sorta pricey?

I'm not sure I'm picturing your mousse correctly, but if you have a gelatin-based mousse that's tall like a cylinder, in Japan they usually put one of those clear plastic-y strips around it, so you can handle the sides. And a hard cardboard square (or round) underneath. Japanese people usually have slender hands, though, so it would be easy for them to stick their hands in the box to get the mousse out.

you're picturing it correctly, but unless the dessert is frozen, you wouldn't be able to reach in and grab the base board. I'll be posting a pic tonight with how I'm using them now. I also wondered if I couldn't market it on its side - not as pretty, but easier to get the dessert out.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

gallery_41282_4652_8742.jpg

Here is said box. I'm not using the ribbon - that was just a try out. And to cap off this story, someone bought one of my butterscotch cheesecakes in a box and as they were walking to the counter, the cheese cake dropped out of the bottom into her purse. I accused her of shoplifting and gave her a freebie.