• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fast food regional differences

Chris Hennes

I was at a McDonalds in Phoenix a few weeks ago and I noticed that they have a different kind of fried chicken than we have up here - it's much more vinegary. And, they have it on one of those breakfast biscuit sandwiches. Up to this point I was a firm believer in the Bacon Egg and Cheese biscuit, but my faith has been shaken by the awesomeness of that chicken thing. As a northerner, chicken for breakfast was quite the novelty... I've also noticed bratwurst on the menus in the midwest (though not for breakfast!), and pineapple came with everything in Waikiki. What other fast food regional specialties am I missing here in Central PA?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

You get chicken for breakfast at McD's? That's so depressing. Depressing because I have, my whole life, been deprived of such a wonder.

Just recently, my local deli started carrying chicken biscuit breakfast sammies, and whoa, what a revelation. Chicken...for BREAKFAST! But to hear that it's a common thing!? *gasp*

On topic: When I lived on Guam, my favorite breakfast was the "Local Platter" with chorizo and fried rice. A side of finadine, and it was really great stuff.

Also, on Guam, anywhere you go, any fast food resturaunt you can get a side of rice. Rice with your value meal, rice with your pan pizza, rice with your McMuffin breakfast, rice with your burrito meal. Every place, too has a giant bottle of Tobasco and a tub of finadine at the condiment station. I really took it for granted, and then missed it sorely when I moved back here. My favorite was Wendy's Chili (and rice) with a side salad. I tried ordering chili and rice about a month after coming back to NJ, and was met with blank stares till I figured it out.

I was at a McDonalds in Phoenix a few weeks ago and I noticed that they have a different kind of fried chicken than we have up here - it's much more vinegary. And, they have it on one of those breakfast biscuit sandwiches. Up to this point I was a firm believer in the Bacon Egg and Cheese biscuit, but my faith has been shaken by the awesomeness of that chicken thing. As a northerner, chicken for breakfast was quite the novelty... I've also noticed bratwurst on the menus in the midwest (though not for breakfast!), and pineapple came with everything in Waikiki. What other fast food regional specialties am I missing here in Central PA?

Phx & Tucson are test markets for a lot of McD's food. It was here many years back that we were the guinea pigs for the McRib. I think other companies do that as well, but I have no idea why.

The breakfast chicken biscuit is new for me (a newbie to the southeast). I gotta say... it's pretty tasty.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Portuguese sausage & eggs for breakfast at McD's here in Hawaii, with rice, of course. You can also get a bowl of saimin (thin ramen noodles in soup) any time of the day. With chopsticks, if you ask. The pineapple's only in Waikiki for tourists, though. :hmmm:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

In Singapore there were hamburgers served on browned rice cakes instead of buns (maybe keeping pace with Mos Burger) and green tea flavored shakes. I think your post referred to US regional diffs, but the international ones are really interesting as well.

The Dallas market doesn't yet have McDonald's Third Pound Angus burgers. I did get to have one out in L.A. last week. I know it's not saying much, but it's my new faveorite McDonalds burger. Better than my standard quarter pounder (or double quarter pounder). This is the bacon version.

We also seem to get "Texas" versions of burgers from time to time at McDonalds or Burger King.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I was in Hong Kong recently, and instead of the apple pie we all know well, the McDonald's there had a red bean pie on the menu.  It's the same outer crust, filled with a sweet red bean mixture.  It was actually very tasty.

I would try that. I love sweet red bean paste.

Phoenix must have been a test market:

McDonald’s expands coffee, breakfast choices - Chicken biscuits, espresso drinks among items coming to all U.S. outlets

According to the article, the chicken biscuits will be offered at all U.S. McDonald's next year. They'll be introducing a "sausage skillet burrito", whatever that is, in a couple of weeks.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Phoenix must have been a test market:

McDonald’s expands coffee, breakfast choices - Chicken biscuits, espresso drinks among items coming to all U.S. outlets

According to the article, the chicken biscuits will be offered at all U.S. McDonald's next year. They'll be introducing a "sausage skillet burrito", whatever that is, in a couple of weeks.

But now I will be torn!! Bacon Egg and Cheese or Chicken!?! Also, while I agree that the Al Fresco sausages are good, and are definitely better for you than the BEC, it can be hard to resist on a busy morning... McD's is convenience food. If it tastes good too, then we win!

I can't recall offhand, but do the McDonalds' in Hawaii have Spam on anything? I figured the pineapple might be for tourists (doesn't diminish it goodness, as far as I am concerned!), but I remember seeing Spam everyplace else.

I would totally eat a red bean paste pie - I love that stuff, and the apple pies are too sweet for me. I haven't seen the Angus Burger in any market I've been to yet, but I don't eat non-breakfast very often at McDs so I'm not sure it will affect me anyway.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

i believe that chick-fil-a has been doing breakfast chicken biscuits for some time now.

hardees still has/used to have a pork cutlet breakfast biscuit as well. my regular hardees breakfast was always biscuits and gravy, so i cannot comment on the pork cutlet biscuit.

Vinegary fried chicken?

Vinegary barbecued chicken I get. I can't wrap my brain around the idea of vinegary-tasting fried chicken, unless maybe it's a spicy variety like Popeye's (which doesn't taste vinegary at all).

But since we're bringing up local/regional variations on fast food, did any of the rest of you out there ever encounter McDonald's Philly cheesesteak? Yes, they sold it in the Philadelphia market! "Like carrying coals to Newcastle," I think the phrase goes.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Vinegary fried chicken?

Vinegary barbecued chicken I get.  I can't wrap my brain around the idea of vinegary-tasting fried chicken, unless maybe it's a spicy variety like Popeye's (which doesn't taste vinegary at all).

But since we're bringing up local/regional variations on fast food, did any of the rest of you out there ever encounter McDonald's Philly cheesesteak?  Yes, they sold it in the Philadelphia market!  "Like carrying coals to Newcastle," I think the phrase goes.

Okay Sandy that cannot possibly be true! :shock: McD cheesesteaks in Philly? Who knew the clown would have the cajones to try that one? Move over Britney, McD's needs to check that clown into rehab and quick. :laugh:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

It used to be -- may still be -- that McDonald's in the US automatically put ketchup and mustard on hamburgers in the West but just ketchup in the East.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It used to be -- may still be -- that McDonald's in the US automatically put ketchup and mustard on hamburgers in the West but just ketchup in the East.

In my area, it's pretty random with the ketchup and mustard. For example, the one here in Hazlet doesn't do put mustard on the cheeseburgers, but the ones in Cliffwood and Matawan do. All these places are within 10 miles of each other. Maybe it's something they do on a managerial level, now?

In the Maritimes there is a McLobster Roll, in the summer (for tourists). I haven't had one. Subway also tends to have some kind of lobster sandwich in the summer. I also remember there being some kind of scallop sandwich at Subway in Digby (famous for its scallops), a few years ago.

I've seen soft pretezls at McDonalds in Germany, and a "Greek Mac" (really bad gyros) in Greece.