• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting Pig From Costco.com

MikeyMike

Saw this  http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...US&Sp=C&topnav=  at Costco.com and I was wondering if anyone has tried and could provide some feedback.  Thanks.

We've never tried the Costco version, but whole suckling pigs are very popular here around holiday time. I don't understand the price, though. $179.99 for a 25 lb. pig? That seems rather pricey. We get them for well under $2/lb. from our local butcher. Last Christmas, I think that I paid .99/lb., on sale.

We generally just brine them thoroughly and then cook in a fairly low oven for a long period of time and serve with fresh mojo, black beans and rice.

The costco price also includes 2 day shipping. that would certainly make up part of the expense :)

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much