• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Demi in mid-Michigan

DMS

My first post. Having been beaten down by Bourdain then beaten further by Ruhlman in his newest book, I guess I should finally make some veal stock and demi at home. Since I don't eat veal all that often, I thought a butcher might be able to help me out. After a big lack of success on the phone throughout mid-Michigan, I finally emailed the Michigan Beef Council and now have two sources for veal bones. The first is Snooks Butcher which is about 80 miles away. The second source is a food service vendor out of Swartz Creek (much closer) that will sell me a case of 50 pounds for around $90. So two questions to eGulleters: Anyone in mid-Michigan want to split some veal bones? Or, alternatively, anyone know of any other sources that I might check?

Thanks!

Dennis

Might take you a while to find one but possibly a restaurant chef would be willing to part with some?

I thought about contacting Eric Villegas, but I figured any restaurant was already cycling bones back into stock. If nothing else, I can give them a call.

Denis

The pricing is a bit high. You can make demi from beef bones, and they can be near give-aways. I use two 5lb bags from my Asian market (cost, $2) and add 2 pigs' feet in the final simmer. It's a brown stock, but thick enough to use as demi glace.

Well the chef got back with me. One suggestion was a specialty meat vendor who quoted me $5.99 lb (yikes!) and he also suggested Sysco. I checked around the Sysco site in the ChefEX and in the general food section but only saw demi and but not bones. However, first time looking there so I may have missed it.

Dennis

Welcome, DMS! I'm in SE Michigan, Lambertville. Where are you?

I ended up with a large box of frozen knuckles a few years ago, but the butcher that ordered them refused to saw them in half.

My wife wasn't too fond of the oder that lasted for weeks. I now use the jars of Demi from Williams Sonoma, that were marked down 50% last month! (I know, I know. Sorry 'bout that!)

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

Yes, welcome and where are you? (And greetings, Sam!) As you can see, I'm in GR, which probably is not all that close to you. Maybe you, Sam, and I can meet at an equidistant point (Restaurant Villegas?). I used to get some made-from-scratch veal demi every so often from a restaurateur friend, but he no longer has his own place. :sad:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thanks for the welcome! I am in the Lansing area. The hunt for this has been a bit fun and a little frustrating at the same time. So far the 50 lbs is by far the best deal, now I just need 3 or 4 other people in the area that want to make some stock as well - heh. :)

Dennis

Have you checked any of the ethnic grocery stores around Lansing? I know the one the on Trowbridge, right near MSU, has a lot of different types of frozen meats. Also, what about the grocery across the street from it- it tends to have more specialty items and is independently run, as far as I know.

What about checking with Horrocks?- maybe they could order you in some at a reasonable price. If you're checking Sysco, you might as well check Gordan Food Service- I just hit them up tonight as I finally ran out of parchment paper for baking after nearly 10 years. If you don't mind a short drive, McCord's Farm Market in Ionia has a pretty good meat department. I love their fresh, never frozen chickens...even if I do have to pluck a few stray feathers-lol. I buy all of my meat from them, or from the Cascade (GR) Meijer's, as it has a lot bigger selection then other Meijer, especially for organic/minimally processed meats. I do know I've seen a pretty good selection of veal at the Cascade Meijer, so it might be worth a call there.

There is also a couple small markets on Plainfield, near my sisters house in GR that have real butchers. One of them always have various bones available reasonably priced in their freezer case from whatever they butcher out. Since I live closer to Lansing, I always have to make sure I get a completely frozen bag and not a freshly processed, especially in the summer time. I can picture the shop and could probably give you directions, but I can't remember the name of it to save my life.

Is Grand Gourmet still in east lansing? They might be able to hook you up. However I used to get beef and veal bones to make stock from the Meijers (sorry its been a few years I can't remember how to spell it)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I buy all of my meat from them, or from the Cascade (GR) Meijer's, as it has a lot bigger selection then other Meijer, especially for organic/minimally processed meats. I do know I've seen a pretty good selection of veal at the Cascade Meijer, so it might be worth a call there.

There is also a couple small markets on Plainfield, near my sisters house in GR that have real butchers. One of them always have various bones available reasonably priced in their freezer case from whatever they butcher out. Since I live closer to Lansing, I always have to make sure I get a completely frozen bag and not a freshly processed, especially in the summer time. I can picture the shop and could probably give you directions, but I can't remember the name of it to save my life.

Might you be thinking of Van Ball's Prime Beef, between I-96 and Four Mile Rd? Or perhaps Kingma's Market, about a mile south of I-96? I'll be doing stuff on Plainfield this weekend, so I can stop by either place and ask. I live relatively close to the Cascade Meijer, so I can inquire there as well. There's also a butcher in Ada I can check with.

Speaking of organic/minimally processed meats, have you ever shopped at a Heffron Farms market? There's one on Plainfield at I-96 and another in the shopping center on Cascade Rd. where 28th St. ends.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Might you be thinking of Van Ball's Prime Beef, between I-96 and Four Mile Rd? Or perhaps Kingma's Market, about a mile south of I-96? I'll be doing stuff on Plainfield this weekend, so I can stop by either place and ask. I live relatively close to the Cascade Meijer, so I can inquire there as well. There's also a butcher in Ada I can check with.

Speaking of organic/minimally processed meats, have you ever shopped at a Heffron Farms market? There's one on Plainfield at I-96 and another in the shopping center on Cascade Rd. where 28th St. ends.

I think Kigma's might be it- its one of those places I just drive to without thinking about what its' name is. The one I'm thinking of is on the west side of Plainfield, and would be about a mile south of the 96 interchange. They use to be more of a produce place primarily, but now they carry a ton of international cheeses, and have made their meat department much, much larger.

The Cascade Meijer just underwent a major remodel and it seems they have stepped it up another few notches when it comes to specialty meats and deli. Sadly they stopped carrying a few products I love in the international isle, and with my allergies, finding new brands is not easy- luckily other Meijers are still carrying them for now. I lucked out a couple weeks ago there when they had some of the Certified Angus Beef on sale, when they then marked it 40% off due to close date. It ended up being $1.60/lb for TriTip and another cut...so you know what my deep freezer is full of waiting for me to try out my Sous Vide setup. And at that price, even if I only use it to make ground beef, its worth it.

I'll have to check Heffron out- I go to Harvest Health Food in the Cascasde/end of 28th St all the time and my doctors office just north of that shopping center. Is the Plainfield one in the shopping center right across from 96?

Another thought in GR would be Forrest Hills Foods- they also have a very good meat department with real butchers.

Hi Dennis

Try Goodrich's ShopRite on Trowbridge Rd in East Lansing. Ask for the 'Meat Doctor' or just Tom in the meat department. If he can't get them for you, he may be able to save them over a period of time.

I'm glad you could remember the name- I'm so bad with names-lol. I'd think either Goodrich's or the oriental grocery store across the street I mentioned earlier would be good places in Lansing to check. The second page of this PDF list all the major ethnic food stores in the Lansing/East Lansing area: http://www.oiss.msu.edu/documents/resource...ry%20Stores.pdf It's a handout for students, but I've found it useful in locating various ethnic shops.

I think Kigma's might be it- its one of those places I just drive to without thinking about what its' name is. The one I'm thinking of is on the west side of Plainfield, and would be about a mile south of the 96 interchange. They use to be more of a produce place primarily, but now they carry a ton of international cheeses, and have made their meat department much, much larger.

The Cascade Meijer just underwent a major remodel and it seems they have stepped it up another few notches when it comes to specialty meats and deli. Sadly they stopped carrying a few products I love in the international isle, and with my allergies, finding new brands is not easy- luckily other Meijers are still carrying them for now. I lucked out a couple weeks ago there when they had some of the Certified Angus Beef on sale, when they then marked it 40% off due to close date. It ended up being $1.60/lb for TriTip and another cut...so you know what my deep freezer is full of waiting for me to try out my Sous Vide setup. And at that price, even if I only use it to make ground beef, its worth it.

I'll have to check Heffron out- I go to Harvest Health Food in the Cascasde/end of 28th St all the time and my doctors office just north of that shopping center. Is the Plainfield one in the shopping center right across from 96?

Another thought in GR would be Forrest Hills Foods- they also have a very good meat department with real butchers.

Yes, that's Kingma's. Some good friends of mine live just a few blocks from there. They do have a good selection of cheeses, at better prices than any other place I've shopped at in GR. They carry some nice specialty foods as well. The produce quality is variable, though.

Do check out Heffron. It's on the same side of the shopping center as Harvest Health. And yes, the one on Plainfield is in the shopping center right by 96, the one with MC Sports. Come with a cooler and ice pack, as all of their products are frozen.

Thanks for the Forest Hills Foods mention. I live walking distance away, so I'm there at least every other day. I generally buy only locally raised meats, organic whenever possible, so I haven't made use of their butcher service, but that's a good idea to ask them about veal bones. I do buy fish there, though. In fact, today I bought some lox and some hot-smoked salmon. The next time you're there, you should pick up a bottle of BLiS Bourbon Barrel Maple Syrup (at the deli counter) and a loaf of Little Rooster bread.

Have you been to Grand River Grocery in Ada, on the south side of Ada Drive just west of Fulton? They carry Zingerman's bread and bakery items, tasty sandwiches, lots of specialty products, and a small but decent wine selection.

Edited by Alex (log)

Yes, that's Kingma's. Some good friends of mine live just a few blocks from there. They do have a good selection of cheeses, at better prices than any other place I've shopped at in GR. They carry some nice specialty foods as well. The produce quality is variable, though.

Do check out Heffron. It's on the same side of the shopping center as Harvest Health. And yes, the one on Plainfield is in the shopping center right by 96, the one with MC Sports. Come with a cooler and ice pack, as all of their products are frozen.

Thanks for the Forest Hills Foods mention. I live walking distance away, so I'm there at least every other day. I generally buy only locally raised meats, organic whenever possible, so I haven't made use of their butcher service, but that's a good idea to ask them about veal bones. I do buy fish there, though. In fact, today I bought some lox and some hot-smoked salmon. The next time you're there, you should pick up a bottle of BLiS Bourbon Barrel Maple Syrup (at the deli counter) and a loaf of Little Rooster bread.

Have you been to Grand River Grocery in Ada, on the south side of Ada Drive just west of Fulton? They carry Zingerman's bread and bakery items, tasty sandwiches, lots of specialty products, and a small but decent wine selection.

I was surprised how much the produce has went down hill at Kingma's- I hadn't been there in several years and it was such a totally different store. I see similarities out here in Ionia County, since the SuperWalMart went in. More of the small places, like McCord's Farm Market and even our privately owned grocery store here in Portland. are having to add more gourmet & niche foods to try to compete.

I will definitely check out Heffron's & Little Rooster Bread- being allergic to corn & all its derivatives, it is so hard for me to find safe foods. I tend to forget about Forrest Hills Foods most of the year, until Passover time when I have to stock up on a lot of things for an entire year since most of it is corn free. I need to make a trip down to Eaton Rapids soon to stock up organically grown grains from Ferris Farms http://www.ferrisorganicfarm.com/index.php Its fun figuring out just how to safely store a couple hundred pounds of unground grains, along with all the other food stuffs.

Tom, the meat guy, at Goodrich's Shop Rite is hooking me up at 79 cents/lb. What a guy! Thanks again for the suggestions all!

Dennis

That's a lot better price then the first place you found, and you didn't even have to buy 50lbs worth. I love all the information on various places in both Lansing & GR- its amazing all the places you don't know about or even forget about in your own backyard.