• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Magdalen

I haven't seen any Magdalen-specific threads on here so thought I would start one. Went there last night and had a very pleasant meal. Service was a bit slow to start with, but that was rectified as the night went on. Starters were tasty without being spectacular, but the main course of venison and trotter pie (with accompanying marrowbone) for two was superb. Deep, rich flavours which resounded on the palate, really memorable. Accompanying Rousillon was reasonably priced, a fine accompaniment, with a sparkling pot of lemon to finish. Great place and we will be back.

I expect I have resorted to a number of cliches in that paragraph, but hey, what can you do.

I'm quite keen on Magdalen too, from my one visit. Two of us went on a Wednesday night without booking, but they managed to squeeze us in anyway. I thought the service was rather good; even though it was rather busy, every time we wanted something there was someone there almost instantly, and when we didn't want anything we were left in peace. The food was all competent; it's very meat-heavy so vegetarians beware. I left the wine choice up to our waiter and he got it right (I liked the white so much that he ended up going to find the name of the supplier, and I have a case due next week).

Their website is here, and my writeup with maps and links to other reviews I could find is here.

I'm quite keen on Magdalen too, from my one visit.  Two of us went on a Wednesday night without booking, but they managed to squeeze us in anyway.  I thought the service was rather good; even though it was rather busy, every time we wanted something there was someone there almost instantly, and when we didn't want anything we were left in peace.  The food was all competent; it's very meat-heavy so vegetarians beware.  I left the wine choice up to our waiter and he got it right (I liked the white so much that he ended up going to find the name of the supplier, and I have a case due next week).

Their website is here, and my writeup with maps and links to other reviews I could find is here.

Yes, was amused to note not a single vegetarian main course, although they do say they will make one up on request.

I nipped in on the spur of the moment a couple of months ago and had a really good meal. I can't find the menu at the moment but I had an offal starter (which I now can't remember but recall thinking was delicious at the time) then rabbit with spring veg and aioli which was lovely and French toast with strawberry jam and vanilla ice cream to finish which sounds unexciting but hit the spot. Good service, nice room, great value wine (£15 bottle of Picpoul); what more could you ask.

At the risk of being a me too, had a great lunch a few weeks back and they didn't bat an eyelid at our pushchair monstrosity despite the fact it's quite City at that time. Food reminded me a bit of the simpler dishes served at Trinity in Clapham - as noted above very meaty bold flavours French bourgeois/British.

I'm quite keen on Magdalen too, from my one visit.  Two of us went on a Wednesday night without booking, but they managed to squeeze us in anyway.  I thought the service was rather good; even though it was rather busy, every time we wanted something there was someone there almost instantly, and when we didn't want anything we were left in peace.  The food was all competent; it's very meat-heavy so vegetarians beware.  I left the wine choice up to our waiter and he got it right (I liked the white so much that he ended up going to find the name of the supplier, and I have a case due next week).

Yes, was amused to note not a single vegetarian main course, although they do say they will make one up on request.

Always an excellent sign. Down with food faddists!

Magdalen is great. I had a stint working down in London earlier in the year and was in there twice a week for the best part of two months, as it was just round the corner from my hotel. One really good feature is that the menu changes daily, perhaps not in its entirity, but there were always one or two different starters, mains and puds. It would appear to keep things seasonal as well. Plus, although you can reserve tables upstairs, the tables downstairs aren't reserved, so I've always found you can pop in and get a meal.

As far as memory serves, the best dishes I've had there were:

Sliced pig's head with pickled red cabbage and fried potatoes (superb)

Nettle soup with snails

Longhorn rib of beef with dripping toast (mmm, fatty...)

Roast loin of Middlewhite

Pickled mackerel and potato salad

French toast with marmalade and ice cream (delicious gooey briochy french toast)

Had some splendid rhubarb and creamy dessert first time I was there too - can't remember exactly what though...

They always have a dish to share on the mains as well. Had a ham and veal pie once, which was excellent, a really short pastry on top.

Couldn't recommend it highly enough - have to say that all but one of my meals there beat my one experience of Arbutus hands down. Not sure if my experience of Arbutus is representative, given the gushing praise for it here and elsewhere, but given the choice, for me it would be Magdalen every time.

PS

Edinburgh

• 2 months later...

Really excellent meal on Saturday.

Our pals misread the Open Table email and arrived half an hour late, but the staff were very pleasant and didn't fuss at all. Restaurant was almost completely full - we sat downstairs by the bar, which was a bit distracting with staff to-ing and fro-ing. I recommend you book upstairs which is cosier.

Starters:

Watercress and potato soup with oysters.

Rather peculiar texture combination, with cold raw oyster in the warm creamy soup, but very interesting tastes. Alas was not profferred any of the foie gras with blood orange - dining with the same greedy friends who didn't share any of the Cafe Anglais goodies either.

Main: Pheasant and bacon pie to share.

Wonderful presentation: enormous pie arrived in big white dish with deep golden pastry and a lump in the middle. Lots of speculation about the lump, which turned out to be a marrow bone, which is why they also provide a picky thing to winkle out the marrow. Pastry was delicous - quite thin and not at all flaky and probably loaded with butter. Oh dear. Lots and lots of meat, though the pheasant wasn't as gamey as I'd have liked. Served with a big bowl of red cabbage which was mostly hoovered up by Greedy Friends as we were full of pie.

Dessert:

Rhubarb and custard ice cream - did what it says on the tin, pretty good. Came with home made (I'm pretty sure) shortbread which I though had too much sugar on but Steve didn't, so he ate that as well as his mille feuille.

Chestnut and pear mille feuille - deee- licious. Again a very short pastry, full of flavour, with the sweetness of the chestnut countered by tangy pear puree.

No petit fours with coffee, but that might be because only one person ordered.

Wine was reasonably priced; I ordered the white in a hurry and chose an Italian Chardonnay which was fine but nothing outstanding - but also about £17 I think. And a good bottle of Rioja (Crianza) matched well to the pheasant.

Total bill was startlingly good value at under £50 a head for three courses, 2 bottles of wine, a coffee and service.

Sarah

Sarah

• 1 month later...

Finally got along here last night. Pigeon Terrine and Celeriac remoulade. Rabbit Leg baked with root vegetables, prunes and smoked sausage. Warm Ginger loaf and creme fraiche. All lovely, especially the terrine. Too much wine so suffering this morning :sad:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

...Plus, although you can reserve tables upstairs, the tables downstairs aren't reserved, so I've always found you can pop in and get a meal.

That I like. A restaurant where you can get a table - if you are prepared to wait a while while drinking a glass of wine or two - even on a busy night, is a great find.

I like Magdalen's menu. It talks to me. It probably has something to do with the combination of foie gras, pig and offal... Definitely a destination during the next couple of weeks when I'm in London.