• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato greens

ulterior epicure

Today, at an Asian market, I encountered a bag of "Potato Greens" - they looked like potato plants. I had always thought that potato greens (ie. stems and leaves) were poisonous. A Google search yielded numerous links to information about the edibility of sweet potato plants. But, I found nothing about the greens of a regular potato. I have no idea what kind of potato these "potato greens" are, but I imagine they are edible if sold in an Asian market. I have a bag on my counter - eat or discard?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

The sweet potato and regular potato plant belong to different families. The regular potato is a member of the poisonous nightshade (Solanaceae) family as are tomatoes and eggplants. Big no-no on eating their greens.

The sweet potato is a member of the morning glory family and barely related to a regular potato (russets, reds, yukons etc). That's about all I know. :smile:

eta...I'd definitely eat what you bought.

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

The sweet potato and regular potato plant belong to different families. The regular potato is a member of the poisonous nightshade (Solanaceae) family as are tomatoes and eggplants. Big no-no on eating their greens.

The sweet potato is a member of the morning glory family and barely related to a regular potato (russets, reds, yukons etc). That's about all I know.  :smile:

Yes, thanks - you articulated the difference better than I. Knowing that difference is why I'm hesitant. I know that sweet potato greens are commonly used in Chinese cooking - I've had them... and so it makes sense to assume these are sweet potato greens. It may just be mislabeled as "Potato Greens."

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

As stated above, you do not want to eat any part of a potato plant (Solanum tuberosum) except for the tubers.

And this includes sprouts or the skin when it has turned green. In fact, if the green has migrated more than 1/4 inch into the tuber, it is best to discard the whole thing, no matter how wasteful it may seem. Adults who eat them may get a tummy ache but small children can become very ill.

Here is some more information.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The regular potato is a member of the poisonous nightshade (Solanaceae) family as are tomatoes and eggplants. Big no-no on eating their greens.

Yep, and yet I'm positive I remember an episode of Iron Chef (the original, not ICA) in which one of the chefs served beefsteak tomato leaves as part of a dish. So maybe you don't trust something just because it's available in a market or maybe you just thumb your nose at the experts and eat what you want... feeling lucky? :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Chilli pepper belong to the nightshade family and yet the leaves are edible. We cook the tender leaves with mung beans as a soup.

Uh, coming from one who names himself "Fugu," I'm not sure I find this reassuring. :laugh:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Make no mistake about it, they were potato-looking like stems and leaves.

I ended up cooking them and eating them last night. I'm still typing.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

As long as they were sold in a store, they should be safe.

Just don't go picking your own.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett