• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Food Gifts - 2007

llc45

I'm doing homemade brioche loaves this year, along with Bonne Maman jams. Not the easiest to ship, but it's all for local folks!

Gourmet had a whole section on food gifts in their November issue, some of which looked awfully tasty and neat. (Not online, though :sad:.)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I like and often give Harry & David Royal Riviera (i.e., Comice) pears. Their order fulfillment is first class.

Greenberg smoked turkeys are excellent, but the smoke flavor is VERY strong. Give the smallest one you can order.

Spices seem tacky to me, but you could give a container of fleur de sel from Zabars or SaltWorks, which is sufficiently expensive, in addition to being wonderful.

My wife, being Swedish, likes the Viking Smoked Sea Salt -- very heavy smoked flavor and crunchy, cubic crystals.

Salt Traders' Truffle & Salt is excellent, with a strong truffle flavor. It's also at Zabars, along with an equivalent Saffron & Salt combo.

I like and often give Harry & David Royal Riviera (i.e., Comice) pears.  Their order fulfillment is first class.

Greenberg smoked turkeys are excellent, but the smoke flavor is VERY strong.  Give the smallest one you can order.

Spices seem tacky to me, but you could give a container of fleur de sel from Zabars or SaltWorks, which is sufficiently expensive, in addition to being wonderful.

My wife, being Swedish, likes the Viking Smoked Sea Salt -- very heavy smoked flavor and crunchy, cubic crystals.

Salt Traders' Truffle & Salt is excellent, with a strong truffle flavor.  It's also at Zabars, along with an equivalent Saffron & Salt combo.

Interesting that spices seem tacky to you whereas Harry and David seems tacky to me -- but then again, I live in California where fresh fruit is abundant and the concept of mail-ordering fruit is alien.

Within this vein, it is important to determine where your giftees are, geographically. As depicted above, somebody sending me fruit would be somewhat laughed at whereas there are things I can't get here in California like huckleberry products which are a Pacific Northwest rarity.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I am thinking about maybe combining a few to make up baskets. I am still having a hard time giving up on the bourban maple syrup though, I've been planning on this being a big part of my gifts since I found the site last year right after the holidays. :sad: Maybe next year!

That syrup would make for an interesting gift basket item. Sold out though. If you can't get it then a high grade maple syrup would be good choice too. I was in Vermont a few years ago and stopped at a roadside store. Got me a gift box containing 4 ounces each of the different grades of syrup. Some of it I used on waffles, french toast, etc. but other grades I cooked with. Interesting to see the differences.

Bueno, I can't let a statement like that go unreplied. So, um, thanks (?). :cool:

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band