• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How have the hops and malt shortages affected you?

cdh

The brewing world is in a bit of an uproar right now: there is a serious shortage of hops on the market, and grain prices are climbing. The hops shortage is predicted to go 3 years, unless unknown and untapped hops sources come to light.

I'm interested in seeing how the fight between economics and beer plays out in our pint glasses. I know that prices will climb a bit, but a 50%+ increase in raw materials cost won't result in a +50% end cost... I'm more interested in what is going to get brewed by the guys who just can't get enough hops from their suppliers to keep putting out hyper-hopped IPAs and northwest-style hop bombs.

I am going to guess that low-hopped Belgian styles will come forward, particularly the very low hopped sour ales that intentionally use low-flavor low-bittering old hops. I foresee more herbs other than hops getting used in beers- maybe an absinthe ale bittered with wormwood rather than hops. I foresee old style non-hopped beers from the RenFaire cookbooks getting a chance on the market: nordic juniper beers, celtic heather ales, gruits and such.

The big question is who will succeed in the new market conditions. Anybody who runs across new and wacky products that stretch the definition of beer, post 'em here. It will be an interesting collection, and maybe a good bit of compiling some history while living through it.

I'll start with a beer that fits this model- Dogfish Head's Chateau Jihau. This is a beer from the hop-mad creators of Dogfish Head's famous 60, 90 and 120 minute IPAs that has no hops in whatsoever. It is a very interesting drink, but much more akin to wine or mead than beer. Off-dry, very grapey, not very beer-like at all.

Your turn!

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I doubt it will make much of a difference at all since the vast majority of beer drinkers probably wouldn't notice if hops were removed from their brew all together. Perhaps replaced with miniscule amounts of wormwood extract or something. Obviously I'm speaking of the BudMillCoors drinkers.

It will be a shame if the availability of highly hopped PNW pales goes down, but for me, I grow enough cascade to keep myself in hoppy beers.

Mark.

I wonder if this would impact the prices in Europe and Asia? You can double the price of oil but man you start messing with people's beer there could be trouble.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

The hops problem is worldwide. The malt problem is even worse in Europe than here, as the weather wrecked a lot of the crop there this year. Fortunately grain is annual and may get better next year. Hops have a 3-year lead time before new plantings produce commercial quantities.

Here's a link to what the WSJ had to say recently. It is really pretty bleak out there for breweries without advance contracts for essentials. The spot market for hops has been dry for weeks.

And here's some interesting hop industry info.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Are there any beers that use unmalted barley/grains exclusively? No doubt you'd have to change the mashing schedule, and of course add enzymes artificially. But I'd be willing to bet with research one could make a "beer" as we know it without malt. I wouldn't be surprised if BMC brewers are adding enzymes anyways, since with 60% rice / 40% malt there probably isn't enough diastatic power to convert everything anyways (I'm being a bit facetious - I have no idea if anyone uses that ratio).

I wonder what an all pearl barley beer tastes like?

Of course, you could just use barley flakes, no enzymes required - just a different mash schedule (and some lautering strategy). Probably taste like porridge though.

mark.