• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchenaid Pro 600

Fugu

With the Canadian dollar hitting a 30 year high, I've been thinking of driving to Buffalo, New York to do a little shopping for Christmas. Our retail stores here in Toronto are not doing much in terms of lowering their prices. I prefer to spend my dollar in Canada but at retail stores here want $650-$750 vs. $250-$399 in the US. Canadian dollar hit $1.10 yesterday!

Does anyone know of a place that sells the Pro 600 at a reasonable price or should I just go to Buffalo and buy it there and fill up on groceries and my gas tank?

With the Canadian dollar hitting a 30 year high, I've been thinking of driving to Buffalo, New York to do a little shopping for Christmas. Our retail stores here in Toronto are not doing much in terms of lowering their prices. I prefer to spend my dollar in Canada but at retail stores here want $650-$750 vs. $250-$399 in the US. Canadian dollar hit $1.10 yesterday!

Does anyone know of a place that sells the Pro 600 at a reasonable price or should I just go to Buffalo and buy it there and fill up on groceries and my gas tank?

Macy's at the Walden Galleria

I'm not familiar with your area, but do they not have any shipping services (that will accept packages for you) just across the border? I mention this because can get a refurb Pro 600 for as little as $240 from the Kitchenaid site.

http://shopkitchenaid.com/product_list.asp...TAND&HDR=outlet

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Sanrensho, thanks for the link. Unfortunately I no longer have a US address. I clicked on their international site and clicked on Canada, they are asking for $679!

GordonCooks, thanks for heads up. My brother frequently crosses the border to Buffalo, he will know Walden Gallareia.

US made products are not subject to tax when crossing the border. NAFTA

They aren't subject to tax, but you should be aware that Canada has different electrical requirements than the US and even small appliances can be different. For example, the Waring Pro deep fryer in the States is 1800 watts, while the one manufactured for Canada was at first 1500 watts. I think it's come up to 1800 watts now, but when I researched them at the time, the answer I got from Golda's as to why theirs was 1500 while the one on the WS site was 1800, the answer I got was the different electrical standards. The problem with the electrical issues is part of the reason many online US retailers don't won't kitchen appliances to Canada.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Hmmm - not so sure on the tax thing. I believe you are still required to pay G.S.T.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Right. It may be duty free, but very few things are GST exempt.

This article   explains.

Yes, it is wise to be VERY careful. I have posted elsewhere on paying an additional $26 (if I remember correctly) to bring in 2 lbs of curing salt!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I went to North Dakota last month and bought a Pro 600. It was $300 at Kohl's (I couldn't find it for less than $650 here). If you stay in the US for 48 hours, you're allowed to bring back $400 CND in goods, no tax, no duty. Grocery items are usually duty free/tax free, but you're only allowed limited amounts of dairy, meat, eggs, and I'm sure there are more things on the limited list. You can pick up a booklet on the Canadian side that tells you all the restrictions. On top of the mixer and other items, I brought several hundred dollars worth of grocery items and paid no tax or duty.

My mixer has a North American warranty -- so I assume (though I'm sure I might be wrong on this) it's the same one that I would buy in Canada.

I would have liked to buy it in Canada, but at $300-400 savings, that MORE than paid for the hotel room and a bunch of other things when I was down there for the weekend.

Sanrensho, thanks for the link. Unfortunately I no longer have a US address.

Find an eGullet friend who lives in Buffalo? There must be cross-border shipping places like the ones we have near Vancouver. The place I use only charges a few bucks per package held.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

This article   explains.

Yes, it is wise to be VERY careful. I have posted elsewhere on paying an additional $26 (if I remember correctly) to bring in 2 lbs of curing salt!

Groceries are tax free? I'm wondering why you were charged.

Sanrensho, thanks for the link. Unfortunately I no longer have a US address.

Find an eGullet friend who lives in Buffalo? There must be cross-border shipping places like the ones we have near Vancouver. The place I use only charges a few bucks per package held.

Find a UPS store in Buffalo. I get my mail at one in Port Huron( I pay for a box) but I know a lot of Canadians go over just to pick up a package. They charge 10 bucks for a one time pick up.

There is a brand new Kohl's in Port Huron too.

If you stay in the US for 48 hours, you're allowed to bring back $400 CND in goods, no tax, no duty.

Not quite.

< 24 hours = no exemptions

24-48 hours = $50 exemption per person (no alcohol too)

48 hours to 7 days = $200 exemption per person

> 7 days = $750 exemption per person

Not quite.

Not quite:

From the CBSA website:

After each absence of 24 hours or more

You can claim up to CAN$50 worth of goods without paying any duties. This is your personal exemption. You must have the goods with you when you arrive and you cannot include tobacco products or alcoholic beverages in this exemption. If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$50 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead you have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.

After each absence of 48 hours or more

You can claim up to CAN$400 worth of goods without paying any duties. You must have the goods with you when you arrive. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products or manufactured tobacco. See the section called "Alcohol and tobacco" for more details.

After each absence of 7 days or more

You can claim up to CAN$750 worth of goods without paying any duties. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products or manufactured tobacco. See the section called "Alcohol and tobacco" for more details. With the exception of tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, you do not need to have the goods with you when you arrive.

To calculate the number of days you have been absent, do not include the date you left Canada but include the date you returned. Dates matter, not times. For example, we consider you to have been absent seven days if you left Friday the 7th and returned Friday the 14th.

They made the change in the 48 hours or more allowance last summer, I think.

Travel time from my house to Buffalo is less than an hour , I would probably be inside Macy's within an hour. there are sopme outlet stores worth looking into as well.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Not quite.

Not quite:

From the CBSA website:

After each absence of 24 hours or more

You can claim up to CAN$50 worth of goods without paying any duties. This is your personal exemption. You must have the goods with you when you arrive and you cannot include tobacco products or alcoholic beverages in this exemption. If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$50 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead you have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.

After each absence of 48 hours or more

You can claim up to CAN$400 worth of goods without paying any duties. You must have the goods with you when you arrive. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products or manufactured tobacco. See the section called "Alcohol and tobacco" for more details.

After each absence of 7 days or more

You can claim up to CAN$750 worth of goods without paying any duties. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products or manufactured tobacco. See the section called "Alcohol and tobacco" for more details. With the exception of tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, you do not need to have the goods with you when you arrive.

To calculate the number of days you have been absent, do not include the date you left Canada but include the date you returned. Dates matter, not times. For example, we consider you to have been absent seven days if you left Friday the 7th and returned Friday the 14th.

They made the change in the 48 hours or more allowance last summer, I think.

I got a little confused by this on my last trip to NY when I was away for three days. The website certainly says $400.00 for 48 hours, but the Customs cards you have to fill out when coming in by air, still say $200.00. For some reason, the customs officer didn't seem to be up to date either on which was correct.

Marlene

My mixer has a North American warranty -- so I assume (though I'm sure I might be wrong on this) it's the same one that I would buy in Canada.

If it's Canadian approved, there should be a CSA approved mark on it somewhere. Although, KitchenAid is so good with issues, that I doubt you'd have any problems.

Marlene

The 48 hour exemption was definitely changed to $400 this year. I do 4-6 corss-border shopping trips every year, and have done 2 since the change -- but the brochures at the border had $200 crossed out and $400 written in by hand the last time I picked one up. I guess they have to use up the paperwork before they can get more. :wink:

Marlene - thanks, I'll check the machine/box when I get home.

This article   explains.

Anna, have you looked for curing salt from Malabar in Burlington? I haven't been there, but here is the site.

This article   explains.

Anna, have you looked for curing salt from Malabar in Burlington? I haven't been there, but here is the site.

Unfortunately at the time I had no local sources! Wouldn't order it stateside again that is for sure! We have been dinged on many items from the US for taxes, custom duties, brokerage fees, etc. I try to avoid any ordering from the US if possible. :sad:

My 2004 eG Blog

Unfortunately at the time I had no local sources!  Wouldn't order it stateside again that is for sure!  We have been dinged on many items from the US for taxes, custom duties, brokerage fees, etc.  I try to avoid any ordering from the US if possible.  :sad:

For mail order, if you can keep the total (including postage, I think) under CA$20, you don't have to pay duty, taxes, or anything else. That's IF it comes through regular mail. If it comes through UPS or Purolator, you usually have to pay the brokerage fees (I'm not sure about other fees).

If you can get stuff shipped to you to a friend in the US who is willing to re-ship, then "gifts" under CA$60 are exempt from any duty, taxes, etc. In this case, the value of the package is reported by the sender, so they can undervalue an item to help you avoid paying duty. However, that would also limit the amount of insurance you could get on the package, if you get insurance.

Just something to keep in mind.

Unfortunately at the time I had no local sources!  Wouldn't order it stateside again that is for sure!  We have been dinged on many items from the US for taxes, custom duties, brokerage fees, etc.  I try to avoid any ordering from the US if possible.   :sad:

For mail order, if you can keep the total (including postage, I think) under CA$20, you don't have to pay duty, taxes, or anything else. That's IF it comes through regular mail. If it comes through UPS or Purolator, you usually have to pay the brokerage fees (I'm not sure about other fees).

If you can get stuff shipped to you to a friend in the US who is willing to re-ship, then "gifts" under CA$60 are exempt from any duty, taxes, etc. In this case, the value of the package is reported by the sender, so they can undervalue an item to help you avoid paying duty. However, that would also limit the amount of insurance you could get on the package, if you get insurance.

Just something to keep in mind.

Very true. If you want it again Anna, let me know and you can ship it to my US post office box and I can reship it to you.

I bought my new kitchen faucet from a US vendor and he shipped it to me here and marked the value at $40.00!!

. . .

Very true.  If you want it again Anna, let me know and you can ship it to my US post office box and I can reship it to you.

I bought my new kitchen faucet from a US vendor and he shipped it to me here and marked the value at $40.00!!

Many thanks - but I think I have it mostly worked out now as I have a friend who makes fairly frequent trips to the US and is very happy to bring me stuff!

I would just like Canadians to know that NAFTA means very little to the person who thinks they can get a great deal on a KA mixer or anything similar! It's on these big ticket items where the savings might seem substantial but quickly disappear when you factor in all the other additional costs!

While a small vendor might be willing to list the value at less than true value few of the larger vendors will risk their export licences to do the same.

But your kind offer is still very much appreciated. :wub:

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

The Cuisinart kitchen machines offer more power (up to 1000 watts) for less money. They have a similar mixing mechanism. I suppose they are imported, hence similar pricing in U.S. and Canada. They may not have as many accessories as Kitchen Aid. Has anyone encountered these machines?