• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

British food shops in London, Ontario?

chamekke

I'm visiting London in three weeks' time. When I'm there, I'd like to find a shop that sells pickled walnuts, such as Opie's Pickled Walnuts. My best bet (probably) is to find a well-stocked British food shop or dry-goods store.

Can anyone tell me of any likely places? A Taste of Britain sounds promising, although their site doesn't mention pickled walnuts at all. I also found another website for a place called the British & Irish Shoppe, but their stock looks pretty limited to judge from the photos. (I'm not including the link because visiting their homepage triggered a MIDI file that I had difficulty turning off - even closing the browser didn't do the trick!)

Of course, if you know of a (non-British) deli or other specialty shop that would stock these precious things, I'm all ears. It doesn't have to be an English or British special{i}ty store.

Thank you!

I don't know that I have ever seen pickled walnuts in A taste of Britan (then again I never looked!) but it's right by my house and I could check for you this week and save you a trip if they don't have them.

There is also Angleo's which often has some of the more esoteric stuff and some times A&P will surpirse me. I will be hitting all of these places this week and will let you know.

Hmm.

My folks live there and, funnily enough, we just had a discussion about pickled walnuts and how difficult to find they are in London. they just had a friend bring back a few jars from the UK.

But that's not to say they can't be found in London, just that my folks seem to have a hard time. there used to be a place in the market downtown that usually had them, but I think it's long gone.

Good luck in your quest. If you do find them, please let us know.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I don't know that I have ever seen pickled walnuts in A taste of Britan (then again I never looked!) but it's right by my house and I could check for you this week and save you a trip if they don't have them.

There is also Angleo's which often has some of the more esoteric stuff and some times A&P will surpirse me. I will be hitting all of these places this week and will let you know.

I very deeply appreciate this. Thank you so much!!

This won't help chamekke, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if A Taste of Britain would make an effort to get pickled walnuts if they were requested. I have dealt with them in my (non-food-related) business, as they were trying to track down a product based on customer requests.

This won't help chamekke, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if A Taste of Britain would make an effort to get pickled walnuts if they were requested. I have dealt with them in my (non-food-related) business, as they were trying to track down a product based on customer requests.

I did try e-mailing A Taste of Britain via a Web form on their site last week, but have had no reply to date. Which could mean (a) they don't have the product, (b) they are trying to get it so that they can reply shortly in the affirmative, or © they haven't seen my e-mail :biggrin:

Oh well, maybe I'll try again...

I did try again, using Taste of Britain's e-mail address this time (found on another site). They replied immediately to say that they do stock the walnuts!

So we're good now. Yay!

Thanks, everyone, for all your kind replies! Much, much appreciated :wub: