• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick question 'bout Oregon truffles

jupe

When are they ripe and where can I buy them? I live just outside of Eugene, but haven't seen them around anywhere. I know the truffle festival is in January, but I would love to get my mits on an ounce or two before Thanksgiving. Is that even a possibility?

Thanks!

Please delete my account from eGullet

Please let me know too!! I really would like to get some. btw, what happened to all those south eastern truffle farms that were happening?

well, if i can get some info without paying the $500 admission (!!!) to the local truffle festival i'll spill the beans right here :)

i know i can buy them mail order, but it just seems silly since i'm sitting in the epicenter of oregon truffle land.

For what it's worth both Pastaworks in S.E. Portland and City Market in N.W. Portland carry them. I agree with Pallee that they aren't quite fragrant enough- at least not at that price.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

so i gotta ask--what is with the meme that oregon truffles are the bees knees? (as opposed to Chinese/Asian truffles that seem to get a bad rap). Is it ripeness? i'm completely new to domestic truffles, so i reeeeeeally appreciate guidance before forking over a bunch of cash to taste them.

on the flip side, i'll be in portalnd in a few weekends and would happily post some truffley pics :)

thanks for all the input, from a total newb!