• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sanitary Conditions

dodge621

If more restaurants adhered strictly to the glove laws already in place in some areas, there would be far less of a problem. I'm a native of Syracuse NY and back in the late 80's / early 90's there was an outbreak of hepatitis in Onondaga County. It is the type that is most frequently transmitted by food handlers who haven't washed their hands adequately. Thr oybreak got so bad that in a twelve month period, that small county (total population about 500,000 or less at the time) had over 40% of all the reported hepatitis cases in NY state (including NY City - we're talking a real epidemic here). The County Health Dept. put a glove law in effect (this was prior to NY State putting their glove law on the books) and the outbreak eased. They lifted the law and hepatitis broke out again. They finallly stiffened the law and then made training for restaraunt owners or managers mandatory. Gloves are required even if you are just scooping ice with a scoop. Enforcement was so stringent that the area industry got in the habit of following the right practices (as regards gloves) and there have been no further outbreaks. Admittedly there are certain to be plenty of restaurants in that area that do not adhere to the best of sanitary practices yet the simple enofrcement of the glove law had a huge impact. I was tending bar part time and when folks from out of town saw us wearing a glove on the ice scooping hand that got a nervous look - as though they shoudl be worried because we were wearing it!

Rule of thumb, if your cooks don't speak English, you, or someone responsible and trained should speak their language

It takes 5 minutes to give a basic sanitation lecture in any language, any owner/manager who cannot take the time to do so is negligent.

To ensure compliance I know many establishments that mandate a second washing of the hands at a sink in the kitchen, both to ensure that it is happening and you never know what is on the bathroom door knob.

As for gloves, I am split. When prepping foods for sale at a later time gloves, changed frequently are indespensible, but for ala carte cooking, any bacteria on ones properly washed hands will not have time to multiply to the quantity to make some one ill. Plus it is much easier to sense that your hands are dirty and need washing when they are bare in the ever changing environment of the kitchen line. In the space of one minute you can handle food for dozens of different dishes, idealy with tongs, spoons, ladels etc.... If some chicken juice is on a pair of tongs and you get it on your hands you will wash off the sticky stuff, if you are wearing gloves, you will never notice it. In addition if you are following proper sanitation practices, your hands are being sanitized every few minutes along with your station.

pardon my ramble, I write as I think

see ya soon

fink

PS Two inspections, two satisfactories, only gigs were one fly each time

darn flies I have a $.50 bounty out for flies with the staff.

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

Finker - your points are well taken. My reference for the need for gloves relates to folks who are handling things that will not be further cooked before serving. I cringe when I see someone picking up sliced meat to make a sandwich or to place it on a salad and they don't use tongs or gloves (and I do see this on occasion).

When I tended bar at an entertainment venue in Syracuse, county law required us to wear gloves to scoop the ice. If we had been serving food of any kind we would have flunked royally on many counts becasue it was an ancient building run by a not for profit on a shoestring budget. We didn't even have working hot water in the building for anything but the dressing rooms behind the stage! On a busy bight we would serve 9 - 10 kegs of beer in a one hour preshow and twenty minute midshow intermission, not to mention caes and cases of liquor and wine (picture doing a $6,000 gross in beverages in less than 90 minutes with 5 wells, 5 bartenders, 4 bar backs and a runner - monstrously busy). Customers who questioned the glove law loved to point out that we were handling money, the register and lord only knows what else while wearing the gloves. Even though we changed them as often as possible their point was well taken. despite the shortcomings, the glove law enforcement in that area has led to better sanitation but your point abouyt the responsibility of owners/managers to train employees in thir native language is an important one that is sadly overlooked in many cases.

finker says: "To ensure compliance I know many establishments that mandate a second washing of the hands at a sink in the kitchen, both to ensure that it is happening and you never know what is on the bathroom door knob."

this is what i'm saying when i say "good luck teaching someone how to wipe their arse." you can't legislate someone into washing their hands in the dumper. however, if you can bring it out in the open you shift the responisibility over to the owner/manager as well, which is a step in the right direction.