• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for birthday cake suggestion

jpr54_

I had a carrot cake from Flour Patch Bakery, which they decorated with their signature iced cookies and iced cookie lolli pops. It was a tall cake with the cookies stuck to the side and sticking out of the top on the pops. It was bright and fun! The cake itself was very moist and tasty, though my aunt said that their vanilla cake tasted like day-old pound cake. I haven't had it so I can't say. The staff were pleasant and friendly on the phone.

I think Gina's makes a good cake and especially like the vanilla cake/lemon curd/raspberry filling/ whipped cream frosting combination but have had bad experiences with their customer service, or lack thereof. Plus they are way overpriced, even by Montclair standards.

I also love the carrot cake from Mardi Gras catering on Bloomfield Ave in Verona. They once did a large carrot cake decorated with gold-powder that could have fed 20. Really classic! I heard that they changed hands but that the old owners sold their recipes with the space--so hopefully the cake remains the same!

Good luck!!

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

I once had b'day cake from Gina's and thought the cake itself was wonderful, but the buttercream icing was just too dense for my taste--just FYI. Then I heard that this 8-9" cake cost FORTY bucks and I knew that I'd stick to their breads, jalapeno-corn muffins, and other items.

I've heard mixed reviews about Flour Patch...usually that stuff looks great, but the reports on the cake itself have been both good and bad.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Try Rudy's Pastry Shop in Bloomfield. They made our wedding cake. It was white and chocolate cake with raspberry mousse filling and buttercream frosting.

My cousin-in-law who lives in Verona uses them all the time for her cake needs, and IIRC an 8-9" cake is about $20. They'll decorate it to your specifications.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I have a good friend who is a former pastry chef -- she does beautiful work which i think is also delicious. She leases space to cook in, so it's all on the up + up. Happy to make a referral -- she's based in Montclair, and she's a lovely person. In fact, she recently baked cheddar-thyme scones for a brunch i had, and they were terrific.

you would be shocked, Curlz, at what Gina's charged me for the cake I described above. It was a half sheet cake--but with whipped cream frosting which I guess I thought would be cheaper than buttercream. It was highway robbery and they were just so rude on top of it. I won't be going back!

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

you would be shocked, Curlz, at what Gina's charged me for the cake I described above. It was a half sheet cake--but with whipped cream frosting which I guess I thought would be cheaper than buttercream. It was highway robbery and they were just so rude on top of it. I won't be going back!

Not surprised to hear it was expensive! As for the attitude, I've heard about it from a lot of people (on and off of eG); everything from the owners (hus and wife?) arguing at full volume to general rudeness to customers. I can honestly say that I've not encountered that, but too many others have mentioned it for me to doubt that it happens a lot. For me, Gina's is all about great bread, brioche, and those jalopeno/corn muffins. :wub:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."