• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absolut New Orleans

Danne

I saw some a few weeks past here in Austin at the Grapevine. I also ran across some in a rather run of the mill strip-mall liquor store while visiting Long Island about two weeks ago.

This actually upset me a little because back in Austin I had to call around and search for the ANO, but apparently in New York and such places it is so abundant that you can find it _anywhere_.

Don't know where you are so I can't say if this helps! :rolleyes:

I hate to say this, because they really are giving a lot of money to my city, but it's foul tasting and strange. I mean worse than other flavored vodka. And neither mango or black pepper are flavors associated with New Orleans. Worse, the bottle features a harmonica clearly made in Hammond, a city across the lake about 60 miles away.

So, if you're just buying it out of charity, PM me and I can tell you some good organizations that would accept the cash directly.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I hade a chat with some guys from the Absolut company, we talkt about the ANO, and they didn't tell me anything about mango and black pepper, they told me that it was flavoured with "tropical fruits".

Their new vodka will be "Absolut Mango", I think that it's in feburay.

I hade a chat with some guys from the Absolut company, we talkt about the ANO, and they didn't tell me anything about mango and black pepper, they told me that it was flavoured with "tropical fruits".

It was promoted as mango and black pepper, although who knows what was used.

Here is a something from a USA Today article announcing the launch:

Absolut made the announcement and previewed the mango-with-black-pepper flavor at the annual New Orleans culinary festival, Tales of the Cocktail.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I agree that it does taste strange and nothing at all like black pepper. However, as a New Orleans ex-patriot I think everything that brings attention to the area can only be positive. The sad fact is, most people I've met from about the country still don't understand what it is/was like in the city and nor do they they care. On another note - i do like the _idea_ of mango and black pepper as a flavor for New Orleans.