• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How's Your Drink?

Splificator

Being neither an investor nor a Republican, I don't subscribe to the Wall Street Journal, and hence seldom get a chance to read the fine cocktail column Eric Felten writes for that paper (it doesn't help that the column is archived online behind a members-only firewall).

I was therefore very pleased to pick up How's Your Drink? Cocktails, Culture, and the Art of Drinking Well, Felten's new book, in which he weaves a number of his columns toghether into a looseish narrative covering the history of the cocktail in ten chapters, with recipes. It's well written, well researched, sound on the basics and contains many anecdotes that were new to me. I might disagree on one or two points of mixology (I know that lime in a Dark & Stormy is un-Bermudian, but I think it nonetheless improves the drink and I'll take the standard Boston shaker any day over the Art-Deco glass centrepieces Felten prefers), but that hardly detracted from my enjoyment of the book. Highly recommended.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Splificator (and everyone else),

Not a Republican or investor either. That said, "How's Your Drink" is one of the few free things on the Wall St. Journal's website.

To find it:

1) Go to www.wsj.com

2) Click the "leisure" link on the left side of the screen, towards the botton

3) Scroll down to "food and drink" and click on it.

4) Mr. Felten's "how's your drink" column will be one of the available free options on this screen.

5) And when you're actually reading the column, you'll see a search box on the right hand side of the screen. Type in "how's your drink" and many past columns become available.

Ciao,

Marty McCabe

Boston, MA

Acme Cocktail Company

Splificator (and everyone else),

Not a Republican or investor either.  That said, "How's Your Drink" is one of the few free things on the Wall St. Journal's website.

To find it:

1) Go to www.wsj.com

2) Click the "leisure" link on the left side of the screen, towards the botton

3) Scroll down to "food and drink" and click on it.

4) Mr. Felten's "how's your drink" column will be one of the available free options on this screen.

5) And when you're actually reading the column, you'll see a search box on the right hand side of the screen.  Type in "how's your drink" and many past columns become available.

Ciao,

Nice. Thank you for the instructions.

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

http://thehopry.com/

Just so folks know (and I realize it's off-topic but facts have to be corrected), the opinion pages of the WSJ are very conservative, but the news and feature pages are anything but; if anything there's a liberal bias to the news pages.

eas: thanks for letting us know about Felton's musical inclinations. I see is CD is a reincarnation of the work of one of my fav arrangers, Marty Paich's dek-tette legacy.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report