• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Minimalist's Pan Fried Pizza

mhjoseph

Ok, I know I missed the point upthread  :wink:  but my husband has brought me some coffee in bed this morning so I am going to try to comment on topic.

For all y'all ( I do love living in the South sometimes) who don't want to heat up the kitchen with your oven, don't forget that a grill on the porch could do the same thing as your oven, maybe even better.

. . . 

Well right now it's hovering around 0 degrees F and there's a wicked wind blowing the clouds around. I could go out there and light the grill but it likely would be fighting the wind and cold and barely get hot enough to melt butter. And those damn tongs and spatulas are mighty hard to hold with mittened hands. But your suggestion has merit in the summer time! :biggrin:

Edited to say - sorry that should be 32F/0C! Still too cold to be outdoors trying to grill anything!

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Please forgive me for restating the obvious, but have the topping lovers tried using a lid? It took me a little while to figure this out but I do it now when I reheat leftover pizza in a skillet. Precisely because the dang cheese wouldn't melt!

The idea of making fresh pizza in a pan is just lovely. Has anyone tried doing it without the extra oil?

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

Please forgive me for restating the obvious, but have the topping lovers tried using a lid?  It took me a little while to figure this out but I do it now when I reheat leftover pizza in a skillet.  Precisely because the dang cheese wouldn't melt!

The idea of making fresh pizza in a pan is just lovely.  Has anyone tried doing it without the extra oil?

I use a non-stick pan and just film the dough (rather than the pan) with extra virgin olive oil. It seems to need at least a modicum of oil to crisp up properly.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I use a lid on occasions when I want to start something on the stove and would usually finish in the oven but don't want to heat the oven. It works.

I tried this pan fried pizza recipe tonight for the first time. Very impressed with how easy it was to put together and how easy the dough rolls out. I made a couple very thin and cooked them in a cast iron skillet. Toppings included of all things turkey. The turkey was chopped and lightly coated with zaatar and olive oil. The rest of the ingredients were slices of artichoke hearts, sliced Italian green olives, fried garlic, green onion and a little manchego cheese to top. Not my first choice of ingredients but I was trying to use up what's in the fridge. Not as bad as it sounds.

I use a non-stick pan and just film the dough (rather than the pan) with extra virgin olive oil.  It seems to need at least a modicum of oil to crisp up properly.

Thanks Anna N. That sounds reasonable. I just have to remember to take a deep breath and repeat: "olive oil is good fat, olive oil is good fat, olive oil is good fat..."

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four