• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I really wanted to like Two Guys Catering

pax

I am a germaphobe. I do not like touching things in public places. I don't like touching shopping carts, door knobs, toilet flushing handles, ATM buttons, cash and coins, etc. I don't like snotty-nosed little children in department stores soiling everything with their nasty little chubby fingers. Don't like it at all. Filthy little maggots, that lot. Especially when they're on airplanes. :hmmm: They make traveling almost unbearable. But none of that stops me from traveling, shopping or eating in restaurants or eating street food, for that matter. I just wash my hands frequently and I rarely get sick. *knock on wood*

:shock:

Two Guys Catering...? I would not hire them just because of the forty years of funk beneath their fingernails and the hair that is likely embedded in their food.

I am a germaphobe. I do not like touching things in public places. I don't like touching shopping carts, door knobs, toilet flushing handles, ATM buttons, cash and coins, etc. I don't like snotty-nosed little children in department stores soiling everything with their nasty little chubby fingers. Don't like it at all. Filthy little maggots, that lot. Especially when they're on airplanes.  :hmmm: They make traveling almost unbearable. But none of that stops me from traveling, shopping or eating in restaurants or eating street food, for that matter.  I just wash my hands frequently and I rarely get sick. *knock on wood*

Two Guys Catering...? I would not hire them just because of the forty years of funk beneath their fingernails and the hair that is likely embedded in their food.

Jane YOU GO GIRL! :smile: I do likewise and rarely get sick *** double knock on wood *** People perceive things in such extremes--you're phobic, don't eat out, feeling sorry for us poor souls, we're ignorant of how "real" commercial kitchens operate, etc., etc. when it's really all about personal preferences and choices, practicing good personal and home kitchen hygiene, and just trying to make the best food/dining out choices we can. I know that I there are many things Tony Bourdain eats that I might not try, but I ain't knocking him for it and truly admire his fearlessness. I don't expect everyone to be like me and I won't diss them if they aren't.

Edited for clarification.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

The first time I saw them they reminded me of my last visit to a local sandwich shop. The guy making the sandwiches had long dirty gray fingernails and he did not use food service gloves. I prefer that the people making and serving my food be clean, not clean cut, just clean.

Please keep in mind that there is a huge difference between hands with shit on them and double dipping a spoon.

Well, yes. Of course. But considering how quickly bacteria multiply, if a double dipped spoon is put into a dish that isn't kept HOT (ie 56C-ish) it had better be served soon to have no food poisoning risk. What bugs might be in the mouth or lips that could cause trouble? Staph aureus for one.

Though distasteful, double dipping isn't much risk if a dish is to be served immediately. It is a bigger risk if the dish is put out on the buffet line.

The truth is, I DO worry about the kind of germs I can catch on the Metro. And I DO hate going through a shop hearing someone cough or sneeze what sounds like their last gasp when they are standing next to the apples. I hate it so much I am one of those whackos who carries anti-bacterial wipes out in public and I USE them. I live in Virginia. Every day people from all over the world are pouring through our airports. Did you know there is actually a strain of Ebola named for Reston, Virginia? Ebola Reston. The things that can incubate through the general public give me the shivers.

I've heard of Erectile Dys-Reston but I didn't know about the Ebola thing!

:wink:

Edited by Mild Bill (log)

Did you know there is actually a strain of Ebola named for Reston, Virginia? Ebola Reston. The things that can incubate through the general public give me the shivers.

I've heard of Erectile Dys-Reston but I didn't know about the Ebola thing!

:wink:

Yeah, it was imported to the U.S. via some primates intended for a lab, about twenty years ago. Came in via Dulles and went to some facility in Reston. As far as I remember there were two deaths, but don't quote me. I think those people were immunocompromised or something. It's been a long time so I'm sorry if I'm not accurate.

It turned out be a strain which had some tiny mutation so that it just happened to be non-lethal to (most) humans. It was also, I think, the first Ebola virus seen to be transmitted via air.

So yeah, I go to Dulles, I think about those monkeys. I'm dragging livestock out of the same cargo holds.

I like living. Washing my hands is a pretty small price. Not eating other people's warmed over spit seems an ok practice to me. :laugh:

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I am a germaphobe. I do not like touching things in public places. I don't like touching shopping carts, door knobs, toilet flushing handles, ATM buttons, cash and coins, etc. I don't like snotty-nosed little children in department stores soiling everything with their nasty little chubby fingers. Don't like it at all. Filthy little maggots, that lot. Especially when they're on airplanes.  :hmmm: They make traveling almost unbearable. But none of that stops me from traveling, shopping or eating in restaurants or eating street food, for that matter.  I just wash my hands frequently and I rarely get sick. *knock on wood*

i phobe out in public places (grocery carts, the terlit handle, etc.) but, i also see something that is very allowed in most all restaurants (and look for this to diminish in the future)and that is wedding rings. actually, any sort of jewelry, including earings are sometimes left on ALL of the time, while bathing, sleeping and changing a diaper before going to work.

when i see paula deen mashing potatoes with her hands and that gargantuan self bought quartz ring set full of butter and yesterdays bread crumbs i have to fight back a little bit of throw up.

dozens have eaten her food though and lived to tell about it.