• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finnet - Italian Fennel Liquer

Vin Ordinaire

I just took home a bottle of a really unique liqueur, one which I don't think is readily available in the US. It's called Finnet, a fennel infused liqueur in the style of limoncello.

First, a description: weighing in at 30% abv and pouring a pale pea green, Finnet has a flavor that is exactly like raw fennel. In fact, without having a piece of fennel to crunch along side my glass, I can't really discern a difference. It's sweet, but not overwhelmingly so, the sugar offset by the green herbal and anise like flavors of the fennel. I'm really enjoying it's light and refreshing flavor, and I suspect it would be excellent as an served as an aperitif, or a palate cleanser between courses.

I think it could make a excellent cocktail, but I can't find any mentions of it online, and nothing readily appears to me. I've been racking my brain to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm tempted to try it in place of an anissette in traditional recipes, but the flavor difference is as distinct as fennel is from black licorice. Any ideas would be more than welcome.

I did try one recipe, an improvised bastardization of a negroni, combining one part plymouth gin with one part vya dry vermouth and one part Finett, garnished with a lemon twist. It was one of those mystical mixological occasions where quality ingredients combine to create something truly horrid. Salty, stale, and musky at the same time. Just nasty, basically. I can't remember the last time I poured out one of my own creations, so I beg the wisdom of cocktalians everywhere.