• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arguing with comment cards

Fat Guy

Has this ever happened to you:

You fill out the comment card that comes with the bill at a restaurant. Maybe you write some mildly negative things. Before you make it out the door, a manager has read the comment card and he or she cuts you off at the pass to discuss the matter.

This has happened to me three times in the past couple of years. I'm pretty thick skinned, so I don't mind having the discussion, but it seems to me this is sort of a bait and switch. Comment cards are supposed to offer an opportunity for arms length criticism or praise. I think it's poor form to confront the customer right then and there, especially since this might out the customer as a complainer in front of the other people at the table. A phone-call would be more appropriate.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

as a former chain restaurant manager i can say that the idea of 'solving the problem while the guest is still there' is (at least in my experience) one of those lip-service mantras corporate constantly shoves down your throat. in this case it is one of many examples of a habit or rule trumping common sense.... funny when policies override a customer's comfort.

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

Fat Guy's experience is the reason I don't fill out the cards. I'll just go on eGullet and rant about the worst ever restaurant in the world. Not really, but as the politicians always say, all options must be left open.

Most such cards are unsealable, so the comments are there for everyone who handles the card or guest check to see. That doesn't inspire candor. Why deal with some passive aggressive manager or a server who is on the defensive because of what I wrote?

If there is an issue I see as correctable, I'll try to quickly resolve it with the server or ask to speak to the manager. Otherwise, if minor, I'll keep it to myself and maybe or maybe not return. If I see it as significant, I may send an email or letter to the owner.

Only time I complete a comment card is if it is a self mailer or if I want to compliment service above and beyond.

Also, if it gets me free dessert on my birthday.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

It's pretty common knowledge that if you complain at many of the corporate/chain type restaurants here your going to get something comped. Really an abuse and I wonder how that effects compensation of staff.

I like when you are dining upscale and a management type stops by and is genuinely interested in how your experience was. I can think of a few times the waitron has asked and somebody mentioned something out of sorts, not really complaining and then management stops by. I'd rather see that than a comment card.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

I have had terrible luck with response cards as well. We had terrible service at a place - the food was fine, but the table was close to the waiter station and we saw our server yapping with anybody that would come in instead of taking care of us - after we asked for her to check our food - off the menu - for 4 people, she never returned. We had somebody else bring our food and then with empty glasses for the eniter meal, get a check with THE COMMENT CARD - so my wife filled it out and gave it back to the chek- - well we saw the server, wad it up and throw it away after reading it....so my wife who is a little more stern than I am in cases like that - asked for the manager = told of the situation and went over to the server station and took our commnet card out of the trash and handed it to him. Her other tables were also suffering had seen the entire thing and everyone got in on the servers lack of action - the manager did nothing but say - sorry for your visit - everyone walked out in that section - but you know if a GM or FOH mgr is on the floor - they know what is happeneing and those things do not even need to be given...

I took some friends to dinner as my guests and had really built up this place to be wonderful...the service was awful and the food was not up to the usual standards..filled out the card discretely leaving it with a note on the bottom saying "if you want to talk about this further please call me" and then my number

then I was headed off as I tried to leave by the owner ...it was really embarassing to stand there trying to get out the door him in front of me blocking the exit..the owner was aggitated ....and wanted to pick the comments apart one at a time ...

I was torn do I stand and talk to this guy and tell him what I really felt? or just say "I left my number please call me" either way my guests were all kind of hovering ..it was uncomfortable..and we were trying to go ...I had not made a big deal at the table about the service or the food ..to my guests and was trying to keep this private......my company seemed to enjoy the evening ..so just a short appology about the food and service not being the usual and we just carried on...

Well ...I chose the wrong option and began to defend my comments on the card...never will I do that again!!!...finally I was upset and said "look I am trying to get out of here to salvage my evening and you are not helping make this place look any better by doing this now...if you want to you can call me to talk tomorrow... but for now I want to just leave" and pushed past him while he grumbled at me ...argh!!! it was kind of awful ...

I never heard a word and never went back :sad:

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet