• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Crow Bar and Kitchen, OC

Swicks

After seeing the place under construction I finally did some searching and found out some info about this new place set to open soon right next door to Ruby's in Corona Del Mar on PCH.

It is going to be a new casual "gastropub" from the former chef at Oysters. I am very excited about this place and foresee it to be one of my new haunts, especially given it is in my neighborhood.

Check out the website for more info:

http://www.thecrowbarcdm.com/index2.html

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I read about this joint. I can't remember where, but maybe in the Daily Pilot newspaper? I contacted them by email to find out if they were taking reservations. I'm definitely going to check them out soon enough.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I read about this joint.  I can't remember where, but maybe in the Daily Pilot newspaper?  I contacted them by email to find out if they were taking reservations.  I'm definitely going to check them out soon enough.

No menu listings on the website yet but the beer selection is impressive. If the chef's former work at Oysters is any indication the food should be excellent. There is also quite a bit about the chef's focus on fresh, market driven stuff which is encouraging.

I am really excited about this place and it is just the type of thing that the area needs.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Not sure, though open table is saying you can make a res on 11/19th but driving by this morning and looking at it there is no way that is happening. My guess is maybe the first week of December? The mailing list sent out a notification about an event upcoming but no other details.

I happen to talk to two of the Sous at a bar over the weekend (they were wearing Crow Bar t-shirts) and they mentioned opening up this coming weekend. Given the holidays I probably wont make it over until next week.

It seems like the window between Thanksgiving and the new year is a tough time to open a new restaurant, but what do I know?

I actually thought literally exactly the same thing. Though maybe the logic is they assume it will be a slow month or two to work out the kinks...who knows?

It seems like the window between Thanksgiving and the new year is a tough time to open a new restaurant, but what do I know?

I actually thought literally exactly the same thing. Though maybe the logic is they assume it will be a slow month or two to work out the kinks...who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to Crow Bar for dinner last night. Very impressed, it is exactly what I was hoping for out of this place.

Space - small and inviting, decor is nothing special. Deafeningly loud however, but for me it wasn't and issue as it is a casual place. Plus we were dead in the middle of the restaurant. They have a small downstairs area with a couch, seats and a fireplace and one hightop communal table.

Food - Really really awesome menu. Definitely true to its "gastropub" name. All casual and rustic food but with some interesting and upscale twists. Some interesting salads and appetizers but mains are really where its at. Most of it is casual food done really well. A few types of burgers, shortribs, mussels, sausage, fish and a steak. They have a wood fired oven for some interesting flatbreads. Also interesting were the grilled cheese of the day and the gratin of the day, two cool concepts. Prices were pretty reasonable to me, most mains were $10-$15 with a few items above that. Everything else was around $9.

Drink - Beer is definitely the focus with a really impressive list of micros on draft and another large group available by the bottle, some really great choices here that complement the food really well. Wine is not an afterthought either with some good choices by the glass and a very well thought-out list. Nothing too expensive and some interesting choices. Most bottles are in the $40-$65 range.

I had the classic cheeseburger, with as they put it "a top secret proprietary blend of all natural angus beef". In any case, it was really delicious and cooked perfectly. Served on a tomato infused bun with the traditional fixings. No ketchup is allowed however, I understand where the chef is coming from on this as the burger didn't need it at all. Fries were decent. My companion had the grilled cheese of the day, taleggio with arugula and brown mustard, delicious and simple. Deserts are twists on some classic deserts, we had the home-made "ding dong" which is exactly what it sounds like. We were both chocolate fans so it was right up our alley.

Service was spotty but it is to be expected with inexperienced servers at a brand new place, it was all very minor stuff like not knowing the menu very well, etc and they were trying hard so it made up for it.

Overall I really loved this place and will definitely be a regular. While not cheap I think it is reasonably priced enough to become a regular haunt for me. It is exactly what I hoped it would be and i look forward to making my way through the menu.

Can't wait to check it out now! A proper burger or bowl of mussels sounds perfect with a few pints of beer or proper glasses of wine. What is a "tomato-infused bun"? Is it tinted red?

I sent them an email with a playlist for their "iPod Night" concept for Tuesdays. No word back yet, but I thought it was a really solid DJ set!

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Yeah, I am definately getting the mussels next time around. They also serve a variety of different Fra' Mani products in various preparations which all sounded good.

It was more of an orange-ish color but bits of tomato and tomato flavoring were worked into the dough to give it a slight tomato flavor.

As a music snob myself I am putting together a playlist for ipod night as well. A very cool idea. Mind if I inquire as to what is on your playlist?

They request 30 minute playlists on their site so it's a short one, but this is what I sent:

Battle Scars (Chemical Brothers)

Running Up That Hill (Placebo)

Beyond the Beyond (RJD2)

Journey in Satchidanada (Alic Coltrane)

Ooh La La (Goldfrapp)

Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair (Jaffa Remix) - Nina Simone (Verve Remixed)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

A Kate Bush cover? Very nice. I may have to try that IPOD idea, if only to subject everyone in the place to my odd musical tastes. I would pay money to see the place clear as Black Dice hits the speakers. I agree it's a cool idea, though.

This place sounds great by the way. I checked out their website and the prices seem VERY resonable.

A Kate Bush cover? Very nice. I may have to try that IPOD idea, if only to subject everyone in the place to my odd musical tastes. I would pay money to see the place clear as Black Dice hits the speakers. I agree it's a cool idea, though.

This place sounds great by the way. I checked out their website and the prices seem VERY resonable.

Awesome, they finally updated their site with the menu!

I thought for the quality of the food the prices were definitely reasonable.

Edited by Swicks (log)

My mouth is watering reading through that menu. Would it be typical to order a few things, tapas or small-plate style? Or are the portions more consistent with a typical dinner entree? I'd love to find out what the cold fried chicken is all about.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I would say the mains are definitely more consistent with standard entree size, but not overly large so you could probably do both depending on how hungry you were. The burger for example was a 1/4 pound so not super large.

This of course based on only one meal there.

As it turns out, we went to Crow Bar last night for a late Sunday dinner after a long day at a tradeshow in Pasadena. I thought it was a great experience! The menu is surprisingly affordable for such lush digs in the pricey neighborhood of Corona Del Mar. The dining room is small and quaint and lively (see loud). I didn't hear much of the music because the chorus of voices from well-to-do young CDM hipsters was quite loud, not that I'm complaining.

We had three cheeses to start. Two were forgettable but the Mahon was delicious, especially when paired against the tart fruit compote it was served with. The beer list is nice and there are a ton of producers that I wasn't familiar with. If you're into artisan beer producers, the draft and bottle list are really fleshed out and full of gems. We ordered the Chicken Pot Pie special and the Fra'Mani Bangers and Mash. The sausage and potatoes arrived just slightly warm which was a big bummer. However, the piping hot and ultra comforting Chicken Pot Pie really made up for it. The filling was creamy and savory and full of peas, chicken, and mushrooms. Actually, a chicken leg "lollipop" was the centerpiece, poking through the buttery and rosemary spiked crust. It was scrumptious and I would order it again in a hot second. They should really keep that one on the menu through the winter months. We also ordered a side of duck fat fries with aioli and tomato marmalade. They weren't exactly the fries I was hoping for. They didn't have that French bistro style fry made beautifully and crunchy with russet potatoes. These were a bit flabby and not to my liking, but I was excited nonetheless to see duck fat featured on a menu item. For dessert we had a Root Beer Float and an "Irish Car Bomb". I'm not exactly sure what the car bomb dessert was, but I know we destroyed it. It appeared to be a light, Bailey’s infused frozen custard topped with a candy coating and served in a creme anglaise. It was addictive.

Our service was surprisingly on point. I wasn't expecting much from a new restaurant and such pretty employees, but we were served quickly and efficiently and nothing ever lapsed. It was pretty crowded for a Sunday. A football game played on the plasmas to the delight of a completely packed (2 - 3 deep) bar area and most of the tables were seated with diners.

Would I go back? Absolutely. They're serving the kind of comfort food I typically crave. Pot pies? Burgers? Fish & Chips? French Onion Soup? Salumi? It was all there and offered at fair prices. You can stop in and get a draft beer and a damn fine house burger for under $20. In a dining room that nice and in a town that high-end, that's a surprising bargain.

One funny note though . . . when we arrived the room was too full to be let in (by a bouncer in the front). Another couple was also waiting with us and the gentleman decided to ask the bouncer what the food was like. The bouncer, a thick-headed lug, had no idea and offered nothing of substance in response. The gentleman persisted though and even gave the bouncer some leading questions to try and figure out what the food was like. Again, the bouncer offered nothing in return and I was getting frustrated that this poor guy wasn’t getting his answer. He even told the bouncer that if they didn’t know what they were in for here, they could just walk a few doors down to Bungalow. At that point I couldn’t keep my lips shut anymore and I went into a very quick dissertation on the gastropub movement and what the menu at Crow Bar would offer him. He was stoked and started making fun of the bouncer for not knowing the correct answer even though a random patron, i.e. me, knew heavy details about the restaurant. I guess it pays to read eGullet!

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Good report Jason, I echo all of your sentiments about the place. Where exactly were you sitting? Did you take a look at the small space downstairs?

When I dine there in the future, i imagine it will be early in the evening midweek. Also as an FYI the started serving brunch this weekend and will start serving lunch in January. I am glad your service was better than mine. Mine wasn't awful as our server was very nice and trying really hard but he just seemed very inexperienced and didn't know the menus at all.

What did you think of the wine list?

Good report Jason, I echo all of your sentiments about the place. Where exactly were you sitting? Did you take a look at the small space downstairs?

I did not. I actually didn't even know there was a downstairs. We were sitting at a table for four along the banquette opposite the bar.

Since the menu and beer list seem to compliment each other so well, I didn't really bother much with the wine. I did see a $2900 burger special (includes a bottle of Screaming Eagle), but otherwise I was mostly interested in the draft selection.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I did not. I actually didn't even know there was a downstairs. We were sitting at a table for four along the banquette opposite the bar.

Since the menu and beer list seem to compliment each other so well, I didn't really bother much with the wine. I did see a $2900 burger special (includes a bottle of Screaming Eagle), but otherwise I was mostly interested in the draft selection.

Check it out online. But honestly, the food is so well suited to the amazing selection of beers its tough to think too much about a $60 bottle of wine.

I may try and pop in tomorrow night for some mussels....

I too have been there a couple of times since it opened. I think it's an awesome concept and fills a niche that suits the area perfectly. Their flatbreads are ridiculous. A buddy and I had their quince and prosciutto crudo (I believe?) flatbread. I would love to see a couple more of these pop up down that stretch. Going again this weekend.

I too have been there a couple of times since it opened.  I think it's an awesome concept and fills a niche that suits the area perfectly.  Their flatbreads are ridiculous.  A buddy and I had their quince and prosciutto crudo (I believe?) flatbread.  I would love to see a couple more of these pop up down that stretch.  Going again this weekend.

well said....

I am going to try and get in there for brunch this weekend.

Anyone try the fried chicken yet?