• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting Paso Robles

MattJohnson

Hah, I had a section when I posted that said what we liked, but I nuked it because it basically described too much. We like to experiment when we travel. I guess I would like to drink wine that is representative of the region from where it came and/or of the people that made it.

We like it when the person guiding us through the wine is excited about their product and willing to educate us about what makes their wines special. In my limited experience, the people who are most excited about their products tend to turn out good ones.

Style wise, we don't discriminate much. We love trying new things. I look for balance. I enjoy old world dirt/herb/stone flavors, but also see the value of a delicious extracted fruit bomb sometimes. My wife loves very aromatic wines with floral/fruit/spice noses. A great nose will make up for many sins. I don't mind a sweaty sock or some barnyard. If I had to pin us down, I would say that our tastes lean towards new world styles of wines (just because thats what we have the most opportunity to drink regularly).

One thing, we aren't high rollers, so its very unlikely that we will walk out of any winery with 2 cases of their $50/btl wine. That said, we like to take back a bottle or two that will remind us of a great experience we had at our visit.

Does that help at all?

Does that help at all?

Absolutely! Of course, I hope to see you chez moi at Dover Canyon on Sunday! We do several vineyard designated wines, and I think you and your wife will be intrigued by the selection.

Other stops I recommend:

L'Aventure - Excellent cabernets in a forward style. Ask for assistant winemaker Jacob Toft--he often works tasting room on weekends. Tell them I referred you.

Booker - Rhone varieties produced from an exceptional estate vineyard.

Jack Creek - syrah and pinot noir from the cool Willow Creek area of Paso Robles. On weekends only, they pour their wines at Pasolivo. (Recent photos and report here.)

Tablas Creek - the Paso Robles Rhone winery owned by importer Robert Haas and the Perrin family of Chateau de Beaucastel in Chateaunneuf du Pape. Very friendly; excellent wines and history.

Links to the specific wineries for hours and directions are here.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

• 3 weeks later...
L'Aventure - Excellent cabernets in a forward style. Ask for assistant winemaker Jacob Toft--he often works tasting room on weekends. Tell them I referred you.

Booker - Rhone varieties produced from an exceptional estate vineyard.

Jack Creek - syrah and pinot noir from the cool Willow Creek area of Paso Robles. On weekends only, they pour their wines at Pasolivo. (Recent photos and report here.)

Tablas Creek - the Paso Robles Rhone winery owned by importer Robert Haas and the Perrin family of Chateau de Beaucastel in Chateaunneuf du Pape. Very friendly; excellent wines and history.

She's right! Those were great stops on our trip (thanks so much again, Mary, for putting that together for us). I think Booker is doing some pretty exciting stuff right now and they're just out of the gate with a first vintage release. L'Aventure is a great property with a great tasting room surrounded by hilly vineyards. What about Linne Calodo? We just had a bottle of the 2004 Problem Child and it's dark and brooding stuff with real Zinfandel spice. Has anybody heard anything about Jonata? Andy Erickson is the winemaker there.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com