• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bristol Cream Sherry Pound Cake

Caroline923

I tried to google "Harvey's Bristol Cream Pound Cake" and most sites just list the ingredients, no method. This seems to be standard, hope it helps:

1 c butter or margarine

2 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

2 c sugar

3/4 c harvey's bristol cream sherry

6 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 c pecans; finely chopped

3 c flour

Edited for typos

Edited by JeanneCake (log)

I tried to google "Harvey's Bristol Cream Pound Cake" and most sites just list the ingredients, no method.  This seems to be standard,  hope it helps:

1 c  butter or margarine

2 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

2 c  sugar

3/4 c  harvey's bristol cream sherry

6    eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 c  pecans; finely chopped

3 c  flour

Edited for typos

I assume you are soaking the cake with the cream and not adding it as a liquid??

I have no idea... the method for most pound cake recipes is to cream the fats, combine the dry then alternately add the the dry and the liquids (in this case, the eggs and sherry). Then add the nuts. You might have to experiment with this since none of the results I found from googling the recipe included the method. Hold back a little on the sherry and see how fluid or dry the batter is when you finish mixing it.

I think it if were soaking the cake with the sherry, it might have listed the sherry as 3/4 cup sherry, divided so you'd use some of that 3/4 cup in the recipe and the rest as the soak after it bakes.

Here's a recipe for an olive oil sherry pound cake by Alice Medrich where the sherry is part of the liquid ingredients. I would imagine that this could be adapted to use Bristol Cream sherry though it might be overly sweet.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog