• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top turkeys in taste test: Rubashkin #1, Empire #5

Gifted Gourmet

Interestingly, Newsweek reports that the top tasting turkey was a bird by Rubashkin and, coming in fifth, was an Empire bird ...

I know the salting helped the flavor but that is true of both kosher birds ... is there something else involved? Your thoughts?

article here

As Thanksgiving approaches, a panel of 24 tasters sampled eight turkeys and rated them on flavor, texture, moistness and “overall appeal.” Surprisingly, frozen birds often bested fresh ones.

Rubashkin’s Aaron’s Best PRICE: $1.99 per pound TO BUY: Most supermarkets

This frozen kosher turkey is “very moist, with excellent texture"

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

What I find even more interesting than the kosher birds taking two of the top five spots (since all kosher meat is very good) is that two mass produced, low price birds also made the top five. Who could have guessed that the Butterball and Jennie-O turkeys would have ranked that high! While the article says they both cost $1.49 they can be had for less than $1.00 at many supermarkets. Comparing that to the number two ranked bird from Dean and Deluca at over $8.00 per pound they're really a bargain. I wonder who the testers were and what criteria they used? :rolleyes:

Does anyone have a link to the entire article so we can see what other turkeys were tested and where they ranked?

Edited by MSRadell (log)

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.