• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dim sum for dinner?

Vervain

Is there a great place for dim sum in Vancouver on a weekday night? Does anyone serve it at night? In-laws are flying into YVR at 7 p.m. on a Tuesday and want great dim sum before we take them to our house in Bellingham, WA. Is this feasible?

Emily

Cantonese dim sum no - but Shanghainese dim sum - yes.

I think Chen's Shanghai Kitchen does a great job with their steamed soup buns (xiao long boa), flakey dakion pastries, and sweet black sesame pastries. Finish off with some spicy peanutty tan tan noodles. Shanghai River - I think still serves northern dim sum at night.

Cantonese dim sum no - but Shanghainese dim sum - yes.

I think Chen's Shanghai Kitchen does a great job with their steamed soup buns (xiao long boa), flakey dakion pastries, and sweet black sesame pastries.  Finish off with some spicy peanutty tan tan noodles.  Shanghai River - I think still serves northern dim sum at night.

At Chen's, ask for the dim sum menu as these items aren't listed on their regular dinner menu.

Such a pity that Cantonese dim sum isn't available at night....*sigh*

Does the Richmond night market count? :raz:

Of course it is already over but next summer, you can enjoy some rather oily but still not bad dim sum fare (but be aware you'll be paying more for it) well into the night.

I've always said night-time dim sum is such a great idea. The all-day breakfast has always been a popular item, why not all-day dim sum?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

There is a Chinese seafood restaurant called King Fortune, upstairs on the second level, SW corner of Alberni and Burrard. It is beside Shabusen. I think I remember they serve Dim Sum all day, their hours are Mon-Sun 11AM-10:30PM. It's not cheap, but portions are quite large and the food is tasty. I don't think out of towners would be disappointed.

where2eat.ca on King Fortune

Edited by jlo mein (log)

Another option could be Taiwan Beef Noodle House in Marpole (8390 Granville Street, 604-266-7966). As the name suggests, they specialize in beef noodle soup, which is excellent by the way, but they have a number of dim sum items on the menu as well. They are relatively close to the airport, open late, have room for larger parties, really cheap, and the food in general is tasty. We had something called a chive vol au vent that was to die for. The wontons in chili oil are worthy also. They also had various kinds of dumplings (Shanghai steamed dumplings/xiaolong bao, boiled dumplings, and potstickers) plus onion pancakes and fried steamed rolls, among other things that we didn't have room to try. Cost of dinner for two with leftovers: under $20.

There is a Chinese seafood restaurant called King Fortune, upstairs on the second level, SW corner of Alberni and Burrard.  It is beside Shabusen.  I think I remember they serve Dim Sum all day, their hours are Mon-Sun 11AM-10:30PM.  It's not cheap, but portions are quite large and the food is tasty.  I don't think out of towners would be disappointed.

where2eat.ca on King Fortune

Unfortunately, King Fortune has since closed. Then came Shota, which was very good (I don't know whether they served dim sum at night). Sadly, Shota has also now closed. Hope they open up another decent dim sum place there soon!

What about "The Place" on Granville & 64th? It's kinda dingy, but it's another option for Shanghainese & Northern Chinese dim sum.

On another note, "Xian Heng" (or whatever the name was in Mandarin) in Richmond has closed. It was in that mall that houses Staples, on No. 3 Road across from Richmond Centre.

Unfortunately, King Fortune has since closed.  Then came Shota, which was very good (I don't know whether they served dim sum at night).  Sadly, Shota has also now closed.  Hope they open up another decent dim sum place there soon!

Yes, Shota used to serve dim sum at night as well.

They are all good. I would give the nod to Northern Dynasty in terms of easy to get to (in Aberdeen Mall) and easy to navigate menu. The xiao long bao and smoked duck are quite good. Nothern Dynasty and Delicacy are the same company (I think all part of the Banana Leaf group).

Shanghai River is more Shanghainese focused (and perhaps more authentic), again the xiao long bao are top notch, along with cold poached drunken chicken, and braised pork meat balls (lion's head). If you want something very warming - whole poached chicken with wontons is everything that chicken soup should be.

Shanghai River is more Shanghainese focused (and perhaps more authentic),  again the xiao long bao are top notch, along with cold poached drunken chicken, and braised pork meat balls (lion's head).  If you want something very warming - whole poached chicken with wontons is everything that chicken soup should be.

The Taro Duck is amazing too mmmm.

:biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 1 month later...
They are all good.  I would give the nod to Northern Dynasty in terms of easy to get to (in Aberdeen Mall) and easy to navigate menu. The xiao long bao and smoked duck are quite good. Nothern Dynasty and Delicacy are the same company (I think all part of the Banana Leaf group).

They're part of the Tropika Group actually.