• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexpensive eats in Houston

kendix

My good friend just moved to Houston for work and he'll only be there for a couple months. I'd like to give him some good recommendations for food. He's not super adventurous but he's working on it. He's started to eat more upscale and ethnic food with increasing frequency but at heart he's really a cheeseburger, Mexican food, pizza, and BBQ kind of guy. He'd probably appreciate a good dive bar or sports bar for watching sporting events. Also, some recommendations for nice restaurants and cocktail bars for when his girlfriend comes into town would also be appreciated.

He has a car but doesn't care a whole lot for Houston traffic. Still, he probably wouldn't mind driving for something really special. I believe he's on the other side of 610 from Memorial Park near the Galleria.

Thanks in advance for any help.

HA. Who likes Houston traffic?!?!

That being said, Bubba's Texas Burger Shack on Westpark near Sage has some of my favorite burger's in the city.

Right down the road from Bubba's on Richmond, just inside the 610 Loop, is the Luling City Meat Market. Their BBQ is some of the best in the area. Controversial as it might be, I'm not a Goode Co. BBQ fan.

Collina's, is a great local Italian establishment that is BYOB and has several locations around Houston.

Another hip/trendy Italian food joint is Dolce Vita, East of Montrose on Westheimer. Reminds me of Babbo in NYC.

Niko Niko's, on Montrose, just North of Westheimer has great Greek and American food.

Although I'm not a Goode Co. BBQ fan, I do enjoy their Taqueria across the street. They have great burgers and Tex Mex.

Maria Selma on Richmond, West of Montrose has some of the city's best Mexican food. Also to forget their Tequila selection, would be irresponsible of me. It is quite good.

Mexican food in the Westchase area--Sylvia's Enchilada Kitchen is not to be missed.

For CHEAP Mexican food that is only a few miles East of the Westchase District, is Chacho's on Westheimer. I compare it to Taco Cabana, only with a much higher quality of food.

Private message me if you need some more suggestions. These were only a few off the top of my head.

Good luck!

edited for grammatical clarity

Edited by Morgan_Weber (log)

I 2nd Dolce Vita and Goode Co Taqueria. Hugo's serves Mex-Mex food from the interior and is quite an eye opener if he's only used to Tex-Mex. Gravitas is pretty fun, not necessarily in the cheap category but not outrageous, either.

Phoenicia Deli is pretty interesting. Ooh! and Kahn's in Rice Village. Got to try that one.

My good friend just moved to Houston for work and he'll only be there for a couple months. I'd like to give him some good recommendations for food. He's not super adventurous but he's working on it. He's started to eat more upscale and ethnic food with increasing frequency but at heart he's really a cheeseburger, Mexican food, pizza, and BBQ kind of guy. He'd probably appreciate a good dive bar or sports bar for watching sporting events. Also, some recommendations for nice restaurants and cocktail bars for when his girlfriend comes into town would also be appreciated.

He has a car but doesn't care a whole lot for Houston traffic. Still, he probably wouldn't mind driving for something really special. I believe he's on the other side of 610 from Memorial Park near the Galleria.

I have not been in forever but Nicks Place just off Westheimer had great pizza and calzones(fried or baked). Its a good enough sports bar but the food really was good.

Cafe Pita is in the Westchase area and is REALLY good. They serve Bosnian food. The breads are great. Service is really good to. Its just a little local type place.

There is a Buffalo Wild Wings in that area, it works for sport.

Marinis Empenadason Westheimer in the Carrilion Shopping center is good for empenadas.

Churrascos is a great s american place. Its fairly pricey but the food is good(I have not been in a few years).

Caspian is a great persian restaurant.

For BBQ IMO its really only Williams, Thelmas or Burns.

Edited by jscarbor (log)

OOOOOH i forgot Burns BBQ. It's a little off the beaten track, but it is AWESOME!

I got burned once at Thelmas and haven't been back. I should probably drop by that place again...

OOOOOH i forgot Burns BBQ. It's a little off the beaten track, but it is AWESOME!

I got burned once at Thelmas and haven't been back. I should probably drop by that place again...

Thelmas is a little different. You have to go either brisket or the fried catfish. Neither of those has ever been bad for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Mexican food: El Tiempo Cantina (either one)

pizza: Fuzzy's (in the Village) or Star Pizza (either one)

BBQ: Goode Company (either one), or Luling City Market

sports bar: Griff's

There are better in each category, but not unless you want to drive all the way across town. These are the closest-in choices.

Edited by Deacon (log)

I'm fond of the Ragin' Cajun on Richmond, just inside the 610 Loop. I always get in there for crawfish and boudin when I pass through.

I don't know if it still qualifies on the cheap eats section, but they've stapled a lean-to on the side where you get waitered service as opposed to the line-up and haul your stuff back mode in the main room.