• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry into Savory

filipe

I'm trying to sketch up a menu for my "restaurant to be"'s 1st dinner. I have some clear ideas about what i want to cook, but I'm stucked with 2/3 of one idea that I had I think could work very well.

I wanted to start with an amuse bouche tray, with three items. But i wanted ALL of them to look VERY SIMILAR to pastry items. But once you've bite them you'll found a savory taste contrasting to the looks.

1/3 of the tray (1 item) is solved - actually, that's how the whole idea started. It will be an half-size éclair. The stuffing will be a chicken paste/paté seasoned with basil, lemon and thyme, and the frosting will be a very dark chocolate+chilli ganache.

It would nice if the three items could be related to every-day portuguese kitchen flavours (chicken piri-piri for the eclairs, probably sardines for another item, and codfish/pork/beef for the third one).

Anyway, the help I need concerns to the pastry-items that could be "transformed " (let's call it Extreme Makeover : The Kitchen Edition) into savory items without loosing their original pastry looks, so that "the secret" would only be revealed on the first bite, making everyone feel like they're going to start their meal by dessert...

Can anyone help me with this?

Edited by filipe (log)

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

I wanted to start with an amuse bouche tray, with three items. But i wanted ALL of them to look VERY SIMILAR to pastry items. But once you've bite them you'll found a savory taste contrasting to the looks.

Can anyone help me with this?

How about a mini quiche with Portuguese sausage in a tart shell...make it look like a mini custard tart. If you are making eclairs you could easily make mini cream puff shells as well - maybe use a savory horseradish whip cream with a beef filling...

On a recent show on The Food Network a chef was challenged to do just this thing for a dinner. One item they made was basicaly a meatloaf that looked like choclate cake. They pureed ground beef with a Very dark Mole Barbeque sauce and also made a chicken mousse (could use pork and shrimp) and layered them in a pan to look like a filled chocolate cake, and served slices with more of the sauce on the plate.

His dessert that show was a "hot dog" of flash frozen strawberry ice cream in a sponge cake bun with poppy seeds dressed with fruit to look like a Chicago Style Hot Dog

tracey

ok I found the link...there was also cauliflower ice cream..

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_79536,00.html

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks for the tips

The meatloaf/chocolate cake idea seems pretty nice.

At Fauchon they did the opposite : they made club-sandwiches but instead of bread and savory stuffing they've used layers of cake with sweet fillings in between them, cutted triangular shape, like club sandwiches, and sold inside those triangular shaped boxes used at these pick'n'eat shops.

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

I did a savory version of something traditionally sweet for a catering job last week. Smoked salmon chiboust. I didn't try to make it look like a pastry item but it wouldn't have been difficult to do. Smoked salmon and mascarpone in the processor 'til smooth. Dissolve some soaked gelatin sheets in a "pastry cream" of cream, egg yolk, cornstarch and a little lemon juice, cool a little and mix into the salmon. Fold in Italian meringue made with boiled maple syrup and adjust with lemon juice, salt and pepper. It went over very well but I'm going to play around with it a bit in the future.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.