• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavored cream cheese for bagels

mojoman

My GF is bringing some bagels and spreads to work tomorrow. Instead of buying the overpriced stuff at the bagel joint, I figured I'd make it.

However since I have to go the the grocery store to buy the raw ingredients to make them, I realized that I could just buy the Philly products.

I'm pretty sure I know what kind of response I'll get here but does anyone think that the difference in flavor is small enough that it isn't worth the effort? The spreads are not for foodies...just regular peeps.

Any "recipes" for veggie, strawberry, and smoked salmon cream cheese?

Thanks so much.

My GF is bringing some bagels and spreads to work tomorrow.  Instead of buying the overpriced stuff at the bagel joint, I figured I'd make it.

However since I have to go the the grocery store to buy the raw ingredients to make them, I realized that I could just buy the Philly products.

I'm pretty sure I know what kind of response I'll get here but does anyone think that the difference in flavor is small enough that it isn't worth the effort?  The spreads are not for foodies...just regular peeps.

Any "recipes" for veggie, strawberry, and smoked salmon cream cheese?

Thanks so much.

My vote is for pineapple, but as far as quality goes, I'd have your girlfriend bay the stuff at the bageol store. I always feel it's better, usually easier to spread and fresher.

1(8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

2 tablespoons finely chopped carrots

1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions, white part

1 large radish, finely chopped

2 inches piece of celery, finely chopped

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 dash hot pepper sauce

Place the cheese in the mixer or food processor, at medium speed and blend cheese to a creamy stage. Add additional ingredients and blend on low till fully mixed into cheese. Scrape out of mixer bowl with a spatula and store in a covered bowl in refrigerator for 24 hours for the flavors to mingle.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

If you make your own spreads, you can use a better quality cream cheese that does not have guar or other gums added to it. I think natural cream cheese tastes a whole lot better than the regular supermarket type.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Adapting this recipe, courtesy of merstar, might fit the bill:

Salmon Canapes:

1/2 cup each chopped smoked salmon and cream cheese, softened, mixed with 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill (optional), topped with 1/2 red onion, diced. Spread onto mini pumpernickel rounds, squares, or quartered sandwich slices.

I bet the salmon/cream cheese/dill combo would be wonderful on its own on bagels.

Another nice "seasonal" spread....2 parts neufchatel to 1 part solid pack pumpkin + brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice to taste. I mix this up because "sweet flavors" of cream cheese are often too sugary for my taste. The proportion of pumpkin to cheese can, of course, also be adjusted. Next round, I'm planning to add some toasted chopped walnuts.

When it really comes down to it, though, Philadelphia's flavored cream cheese (I've only ever tried the strawberry and the garden vegetable) isn't the worst tasting stuff in the world. Good luck!

No point in buying ready made when it is so simple to create your own unique variation ...

I make a black olive - garlic butter spread .. and an ersatz Liptauer cheese spread with paprika, anchovies, capers, caraway seeds, etc ....

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

No point in buying ready made when it is so simple to create your own unique variation ...

I make a black olive - garlic butter spread .. and an ersatz Liptauer cheese spread with paprika, anchovies, capers, caraway seeds, etc ....

Thanks for the idea re: the Liptauer spread, GG! I make Liptauer cheese quite a bit for an hors d'oeuvres but hadn't thought of pairing this with bagels. Doh!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I think there's a very big difference, personally.

My favorite is green olive and I like being able to control the size of the olive pieces as well as the amount.

I prefer to make any simple dairy based product like this myself -- I can use organic dairy products, which taste better.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Roasted Red Pepper with Scallions:

1 8oz. package cream cheese

2 roasted red peppers

1/4 c chopped scallions

Blend roasted red peppers in a food processor. Add cream cheese when peppers are blended at desired consistancy. Fold in scallions.

Someone at work used to make a really good smoked salmon spread. She said it's really easy. She mixes smoked salmon with cream cheese, chopped scallion and a little lemon juice. I imagine probably salt and pepper to taste as well. It went great with bagels.