• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mol d'art melter

Aria

Thanks for that info! Yhe buy it now price seems higher than the new price from Mol d'art=350 euro!! I guess it is the shipping you save on.

Going price for a new 6 kg melter in the US is around $640, and the buy it now price is $550, so for those of us on this side of the pond there's a little discount.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Thanks for that info! Yhe buy it now price seems higher than the new price from Mol d'art=350 euro!! I guess it is the shipping you save on.

Going price for a new 6 kg melter in the US is around $640, and the buy it now price is $550, so for those of us on this side of the pond there's a little discount.

But it's USED unit! So the discount is not very much really.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

But it's USED unit! So the discount is not very much really.

But it's not like these things get much wear and tear on them, what with no moving parts. I expect they last a very long time. So the difference between used and new is really small.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

• 12 years later...

Just reading up on the tips and tricks here getting ready to play with my newly acquired 6 kg Mol d'art melter I got on eBay.  Looks like the seller has another one to sell as well (click this link to see the listing).  The one I got was a little dirty and has a little wear on the cord, but looks in good condition overall.  I haven't used it yet, but wanted to post this second melter from eBay since I've been watching for one for a while and they don't come along very often.  Bidding ends Wednesday, 7/7/2021

I'm looking for a second pan for my newly acquired melter. tcfsales.com lists the Pan Dimensions: 325 x 265 x 100 mm.  A 1/2 size restaurant pan is 325 x 265 and I can get a 4 inch or ~100mm deep.  Any reason I shouldn't buy a restaurant pan for $10 instead of the extra pan listed for $55?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, GRiker said:

I'm looking for a second pan for my newly acquired melter. tcfsales.com lists the Pan Dimensions: 325 x 265 x 100 mm.  A 1/2 size restaurant pan is 325 x 265 and I can get a 4 inch or ~100mm deep.  Any reason I shouldn't buy a restaurant pan for $10 instead of the extra pan listed for $55?

Check the fit, you may be able to get away with it.  The corner radius might be different.  I have a couple of deeper ones that fit and even allow me to work with more than 6 kg. 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

19 hours ago, GRiker said:

I've never found a standard North American restaurant pan to fit in a Mol'dart.