• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions in Van/North Burnaby

merlin

Will be flying into Vancouver in the late afternoon on June 12th and in Burnaby until the Tuesday.

So expect we'll be up for a dinner on the Saturday and Monday nites with Sunday reserved for visits with friends and family.

Usually we stay on the North Shore so know what to expect and where to dine there but not so much in Vancouver itself.

On our last visit we enjoyed West [it was Ouest then] and have tried Rain City Grill, Joe Fortes, Crocodile, The Fish House at Stanley Park, The Tea Room and the like on past trips.

My wife does not like fish so C is out of the question. I do not want to go the Asian route although the Japanese pub style spots people have spoken about interest me but not likely my "better half".

We will be out on Willingdon just off the highway exit at the Radisson. Local spots that I have heard of but not tried include the Pear Tree and the Hart House. Anyone have any comments. They might make for an easy cab ride by the time we check into the hotel.

Parkside, Cru and Feenie's [will save Lumiere for another trip] all hold some allure. I would prefer more casual over formal. Hence, the Feenie's over Lumiere. Bistro fare is fine. Good wine selection would be terrific. No idea what a cab would cost from Burnaby to any of the three above. Comments?

You're on my home turf now!

I highly recommend The Pear Tree. It's pretty small, so make reservations. They have set seasonal menus, and a day sheet featuring whatever's fresh. My faves are the Lobster Capuccino, and the Braised Lamb Shanks. Nice wine list too. Good selection of BC wines.

I haven't been to The Hart House in a while ... and the last time it was for a wedding so it wasn't off the menu anyway. From what I remember it's a worthwhile visit as well ... the location is right beside Deer Lake. Very pastoral.

If you have to choose between the two ... Pear Tree all the way.

If the weather is good, you may also want to consider Horizons. It's up on top of Burnaby Mountain, so be sure to reserve a table near the window ... the views are amazing! But ONLY if the weather is good. The clouds really like it up there, and the food, while good, isn't good enough to compensate for the loss of view. You'll have a better meal at one of the other two.

If you're looking for dessert ... consider After Eight. It's on Hastings, just East of Willingdon (South side of Hastings). Deserts, coffees, and he may have his liquor liscence by then (martinis & desert wines). Not super-fancy, but he's a good guy, coffee's good (no relation btw :smile: ) and I like to support the locals.

Cab fare from the Radisson to downtown will be about $20-25 depending. Seriously though ... Pear Tree.

DA

Daddy-A:

Well, thanks anyway...your prompt "sealed the deal" that we would head to The Pear Tree.

Unfortunately, when I phoned to make a reservation a minute or two ago I was advised, "that the chef and his brigade would be off to PEI that week to cook for the Cdn Chef's Association"...consequently the restaurant is closed from the 7th of June until they re-open on the 15th.

We fly back to Edmonton on the 15th so we'll have to save The Pear Tree for another visit.

Merlin,

Downer! I guess they're staying for Hats-Off Days (local street festival) this weekend and then heading out. Ah well, next time.

Curious ... where you gonna go instead?

Da

How is the Hart House on Deer Lake doing in Burnaby? I just remember going there a few years back and having this incredible brulee that had a chocolate brownie in the middle of it.

I don't know if this is any indication of how well they're doing ... but they really have been doing a lot of those 2 for 1 coupon deals. They are also advertising in the local rag for their prix fixe menu. Good deals.

My wife & I walk our Jack Russels around Deer Lake and it always seems to be busy.

I was at Hart House about a year ago and had a very good meal with excellent service. Sorry I can't remember the details and it was a work-related dinner so the focus was not supposed to be on the food.

It's not exactly casual but on the west coast nothing is really very formal either, especially in tourist season.

Cheers,

Anne

Well after some discussion, I flipped a coin and made reservations at Cru.

Perhaps we'll head to Parkside or some other spot in that area on the other evening we are "free".Concepts and menus are quite similar so could be interesting to compare the two.

Thanks for the input and assistance all.

Concepts and menus are quite similar so could be interesting to compare the two.

Right, take away the pretentiousness, small portions, overpricing, and cramped space of Cru, and voila, you have Parkside.

Right, take away the pretentiousness, small portions, overpricing, and cramped space of Cru, and voila, you have Parkside.

You work for Parkside, don't you?

Jerry & Coop oughta get together on this one :biggrin:

LOL...so you would prefer Parkside Jerry_A? Tell us how you really feel.

Have not been to either. Menus are extremely similar. Reviews pretty good for both and "foodie" sources split just about right down the middle.

Oh well, I'll let you know when we get back.

Edited by merlin (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Last evening we went to Cru with a couple of friends. All in all a terrific evening and I am glad I ignored the 'nay sayers and tried this spot on West Granville.

Yes it certainly is narrow. Cozy to say the least. Nice warm tones and even the banquette seating along one side which I usually avoid was comfortable with the way it supported ones lower back.

Service was friendly, casual but professional and not intrusive. I noticed all of the people on the floor would keep an eye out and remove cutlery, glasses, etc..

They were certainly busy but we stayed a number of hours working our way through many of the wines served by the glass on their well selected list.

Rather than the prix fixe menu we all opted for the small plates. Not a "dud" amongst them. We tried the caesar salad, seared foie gras feature of the evening, the grilled asparagus with a lemon scented marcapone cheese [i think] garnish, the wild mushroom bruschetta served with "rocket" i.e. arugula and shave parmesan and then seconds of, the pan seared scallops, braised shorts ribs with a side of "mac and cheese", grilled Italian sausage with white beans and fennel and I had the duck confit. The duck was just the way I like confit, dark and crisp on the exterior and deeply flavoured and moist inside.

A couple of desserts including a very good creme brule and a nice piece of blue cheese from Poplar Grove finished off the meal.

I would easily head back again if I lived in these parts.

Not sure about tomorrow. When I described Parkside to our friends they were ready to go there. We'll see. Have reservations at Ciopino but if the weather continues to improve we may end up on the North Shore at The Beachouse at Dundarave Pier which our friends say is much improved.

Cru is a "must go" if you like wine and interesting food and do not mind a little entertainment and noise and getting to know your "neighbours".

• 3 years later...

The wife and I will be in Van/North Burnaby for the weekend. We have an opportunity to get out for dinner on Saturday night (sister in-law will be looking after the little one), we were thinking about The Pear Tree for dinner but were wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. We would really like to see a tasting menu or table d'hote style menu preferably with wine pairings. Only restritions would be travel time and distance as we both enjoy our wine and will be cabbing it for the evening.

Cheers

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

No, not in N. BBY, as I'm painfully aware...and certainly not for pairings.

If it's fairly good grub you're after, though, the Pear Tree, as has been mentioned, is superb, but there are a couple good Italian restaurants: L'Artista, La Villeta, Baci's and (I've heard, not been) Vitta Bella (sp?), all on Hastings. Also on Hastings, Bombay Biehl is a good Indian restaurant. Sadly, no good Chinese that I know of. There's also the Hart House and Horizons, for a little more upscale. Actually, they might have pairings.

If the weather is nice, go to Cioffi's, get yourself some snacks. Then to Kensington Wines (VQA) and then up to Burnaby Mountain and sit in front of (i.e. do NOT go in) of Horizons. Enjoy the view and a nice picnic.

That's about all Horizon's is good for IMO. :rolleyes:

Pear Tree, Hart House for "fine" dining (obvious nod to Pear Tree). La Villeta has a pretty good Osso Buco. Bombay Bhel is a fave, but maybe not fancy enough for your needs.

A.

No, not in N. BBY, as I'm painfully aware...and certainly not for pairings.

If it's fairly good grub you're after, though, the Pear Tree, as has been mentioned, is superb, but there are a couple good Italian restaurants: L'Artista, La Villeta, Baci's and (I've heard, not been) Vitta Bella (sp?), all on Hastings. Also on Hastings, Bombay Biehl is a good Indian restaurant. Sadly, no good Chinese that I know of. There's also the Hart House and Horizons, for a little more upscale. Actually, they might have pairings.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

I've found Horizons to be pretty hit and miss, but you can't beat that view. Oddly, hiked up this summer a couple times and thought a nice bevvie and snack on their patio would be nice but, alas, big patio, big view, no chairs or tables! Talk about your missed opportunity.

In any event, many, many, many summer eves are spent with a blanket and a bottle on the hill under the trees -- cheaper, nicer, quieter. Have to ask, though, what/where is Kensington Wines?

I must be blind! All the times I've stopped in at Cockney Kings, slurped the BEST mocha at Pappagallo (their cheesecakes aren't the only things they have a "best" of...) even taken the freakin' cat to the vet right there, I've never noticed it. I guess I always thought it was a home brew place. Next time I will indeed stop in and say howdy to the princess. Thanks for the tip.