• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping in Whistler

I have never been to Whistler and I will be working as a personal chef cooking three meals for 8-10 people during the first week of December. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction where I might be able to source the best products in the area, including meat, shellfish, fish, and produce. Are there farmers markets in the are or is it too late in the year? Any help would be great!!

it's probably less than 90 min. from Whistler village to Whole (Paycheque) Foods on a good day. Even with traffic. However, check out the IGA when you arrive in the Village, and the shops in Squamish on the way up. Where do you normally shop now?

Karen Dar Woon

Well I am coming from Northern California, so I shop at Whole Foods or any of a multitude of specilty food shops here. I am looking for the same in Whistler. Does the village itself not contain a meat shop, or fish monger? Also, where is the best place to find the best produce the area has to offer, price is really no object, I just want the best stuff I can find!! Thanks

Well I am coming from Northern California, so I shop at Whole Foods or any of a multitude of specilty food shops here.  I am looking for the same in Whistler.  Does the village itself not contain a meat shop, or fish monger?  Also, where is the best place to find the best produce the area has to offer, price is really no object, I just want the best stuff I can find!!  Thanks

Whistler with a meat shop or fishmonger? Rents are over 100.00 a square foot here and there is not enough year round business to support anything like that.

Farmer's market? Closed in October. Quite honestly, unless you work at a restaurant in town, your choices for produce and any quality items are severely limited. The grocery stores anywhere within almost 100 miles of this place are totally useless unless you plan on making, say, roast beef or mac and cheese or something like that.

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark