• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Northern Italy

vmilor

Hello everyone out there! Just to keep you guys up to date, the tour of Italy is going great!

I started off in Turino with no speacial food experiences, but after that it started picking up steam. I went from Torino to Alba, where I tasted some of the best wines in my life. From there it was on to Parma, where I had an decent meal. The hightlight so far, not surprisingly, was the lunch I had yesterday at Hosteria Giusti in Modena. That night I stayed in Bologna but was too stuffed from lunch to enjoy the meal. I now find myself in Florence and, after fasting most of the day to recover, find myself ready to get back to it!

I will be here for 3 days, then I will go to Siena, Cinqua Terre if I have the time, and finally Pisa wher I catch my flight back to Paris.

If anyone has any interesting suggestion, I am all ears as always.

I am taking lots of pics and keeping a diary, and everything will be shared once I am back home and have some time to do it right.

Good eating everyone, and wish me luck!

Edited by Jonny Bus (log)

Sounds like a great trip so far! Glad you're having a blast. In a couple of your remaining cities, I'd recommend:

FLORENCE

Del Fagioli for bistecca alla fiorentina (Corso Tintori 47r, Santa Croce, 055/244285, Closed Sat/Sun)

Vivoli for gelato (Via Isole delle Stinche 7r)

SIENA

Pasticceria Nannini for great panforte, ricciarelli, cantucci, cavallucci, etc (Via Banchi di Sopra 24)

La Taverna di San Giuseppe for Tuscan classics in cozy surroundings (Via Giovanni Duprè 132)

lunch at Trattoria Sergio or Mario's near the Central MArket. lunch only.

Dinner Caffaggio on via guelfa ( fixed menu 18 euro plus wine)

Fancier: Cibreo there is a trattoria at half price about 30 euro, restaurant 60 plus wine.. dinner club, 5 euro for membership, dinner and show 27?

have fun!

do go look inside the central Market at san Lorenzo, a food lovers paradise!

maybe I';ll see you . I am always there