• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Source for Portuguese Sausages in Chicago

tim

Wow good luck. Phone ahead during the day. I've seen them on the menu but that is sporadic, as in a special. I'm sure he would share a source. For some reason I think he sells his creations packaged for home use.

Have a look at his menu you may see something else worth making the trip for.

From what I understand about Portuguese sausage from Portugal is that the best comes from a breed of pig called "The Black Pig." I know there is one place that will ship to Chicago, ok two but the second is a friend. I'll post a link when I find it and probably let you know next time I score some.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

OK after a lot of looking there is no place in Portugal that can ship to the US. Guessing it's a USDA issue. No idea how mine always makes it, those customs dogs must not like it.

I have found Portuguese sausage at Jewel Foods which tasted nothing like even sausage. I think they were shooting for linguica but detected no garlic or taste for that matter.

I think your best bet would be looking for Medetarian sources even Spanish. You've piqued my curiosity and I will let you know what I find.

I've always got a chuckle out of the fact that one of the best sources for Portuguese style sausage in the US is Hawaii. No kidding according to what I've read you can even get it at Mc Donalds.

Alton Brown, Good Eats

Sunday,

There are Portuguese ethnic population in Southern Massachusetts, Hawaii and Bermuda. Lots of chourico and linquica.

It is easy to find Gaspar's at an international food store in St. Louis. Chicago is frustrating.

I appreciate your interest.

Tim

OK after a lot of looking there is no place in Portugal that can ship to the US. Guessing it's a USDA issue. No idea how mine always makes it, those customs dogs must not like it.

I have found Portuguese sausage at Jewel Foods which tasted nothing like even sausage. I think they were shooting for linguica but detected no garlic or taste for that matter.

I think your best bet would be looking for Medetarian sources even Spanish. You've piqued my curiosity and I will let you know what I find.

I've always got a chuckle out of the fact that one of the best sources for Portuguese style sausage in the US is Hawaii. No kidding according to what I've read you can even get it at Mc Donalds.

It's true that they serve linguica in the McD's in Hawaii. Ever thought of making your own? It's not that difficult, especially if you shape the mixture into patties instead of stuffing it into casings.

My Webpage

Miulang

It's true that they serve linguica in the McD's in Hawaii. Ever thought of making your own? It's not that difficult, especially if you shape the mixture into patties instead of stuffing it into casings.

http://alohaworld.com/ono/viewrecipe.php?i...6&category=Pork

Miulang

Edited by miulang (log)

There is a fairly comprehensive discussion about Charcuterie sources in Chicago taking place here. Yet, I think the likelihood of finding what you are looking for, even using that great list, will be tough. As others have posted, if you want good Portuguese sausage, your best best is to find a Portuguese community that offers it. As diverse as Chicago's neighborhoods are, I'm not aware of any pockets of Portuguese influence. Perhaps more well-versed person out there can enlighten us all about this.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Ronnie,

The discussion on LTH is about stores that produce sausage.

I have seen Gaspars sausage in international food store and know that it is distributed in the Midwest. (ie: St. Louis)

Are there any larger international stores in the Chicago area?

Tim

Ronnie,

The discussion on LTH is about stores that produce sausage. 

I have seen Gaspars sausage in international food store and know that it is distributed in the Midwest. (ie: St. Louis)

Are there any larger international stores in the Chicago area?

Tim

Most 'International' stores in Chicago tend to be focused primarily on 1 country's goods (eg Super H-Mart, Mitsuwa, Cafe Iberico). I didn't realize that you were only looking for specific brands. As long as that's the case, I'd suggest contacting the manufacturers via their web sites or e-mail and asking them for a list of US-based distributors.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

http://alohaworld.com/ono/viewrecipe.php?i...6&category=Pork

Miulang

Thanks for the link. Making it will be in my future.

Alton Brown, Good Eats