• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant in Wayne, NJ

TomDel

My sister would like to send a gift certificate as a wedding present to a very good friend in Wayne, NJ. Any suggestions for a really good restaurant, preferably Italian, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Is NEAR Wayne or within close range of Wayne okay? If not, your sis might have a problem (as evidenced by the ton of posts...)! Let us know; there is good stuff within a 10-mile range. Knowing how much she wants to spend would be helpful too!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Is NEAR Wayne or within close range of Wayne okay?  If not, your sis might have a problem (as evidenced by the ton of posts...)!  Let us know; there is good stuff within a 10-mile range.  Knowing how much she wants to spend would be helpful too!

I would certainly think that a range of ten miles is okay. I’m not sure how much she wants to spend, but since it’s a wedding gift I’d say at least $100, but more likely $200.

I don’t understand your meaning regarding a ton of posts. You’re the only one who’s responded so far. Are you referring to the 100 people who viewed the post?

I read a lot of good reviews and had recommendations for LuNella in Cedar Grove. Have you ever been there?

PS. You forgot to turn back your computer clock.

It's Lu Nello. I heard decent things from my dad. Their new location is bigger, looks nicer, and the menu looks pretty good.

http://www.lunello.com/

Although Anthony Lo Pinto's Crave will be opening soon, and if there's any consideration to history, that'll be THE place to go to. :-D

Edited by MJP (log)

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

TomDel-thanks for mentioning my clock; it's not a problem on my PC-it's on the eG board settings--I had to go change it there.

Now that I/we have a better sense of location/$, I'll toss out a few of my personal favorites as suggestions, knowing that they're within easy reach of Wayne. I'll provide a few links as well (in blue) to the eG threads, but definitely Google for web sites and other commentary! Personally, I think of places like LuNello, Il Tulipano, etc. as lovely for a more mature crowd and stuck in a bit of a rut in terms of attitude, decor and menus. BUT. I haven't been to either in a very long time, so the food might be incredible--I just can't personally say so.

Blu in Montclair is a fantastic choice; the food is seasonal, creative, and ridiculously underpriced, imo. I received a huge gift certificate to Blu from some board members when I left a job and six of us had a phenomenal dinner there as a result. Really. It's also BYO, which is a very nice perk, imo.

Fascino, also in Montclair, and also BYO, is similarly wonderful. The chef is consistently recognized locally. Another can't-go-wrong option, as far as I'm concerned. Been too long since I've had a meal there, unfortunately!

Further away, but very high on my 'must-try' list is David Drake in Rahway. Don't let the distance scare you/your sis--the place is getting wonderful reviews, and the pics on that thread will let you get an idea of the level of the menus/presentation.

Recent reports about Highlawn Pavillion are great. It's certainly a lovely spot if you get a table near the windows. Very special occasiony.

Those should get you started! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Berta's Chateau was recently reviewed here...

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...0entry1490594

In Bloomingdale is Kopici

(973) 283-8112

163 Union Ave, Bloomingdale, NJ 07403

We really like this place, white tablecloth, lovely service, great food, fairly casual crowd. Owner used to be the chef at Macalusos in Hawthorn

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

TomDel-thanks for mentioning my clock; it's not a problem on my PC-it's on the eG board settings--I had to go change it there.

Now that I/we have a better sense of location/$, I'll toss out a few of my personal favorites as suggestions, knowing that they're within easy reach of Wayne.  I'll provide a few links as well (in blue) to the eG threads, but definitely Google for web sites and other commentary!  Personally, I think of places like LuNello, Il Tulipano, etc. as lovely for a more mature crowd and stuck in a bit of a rut in terms of attitude, decor and menus.  BUT.  I haven't been to either in a very long time, so the food might be incredible--I just can't personally say so.

Blu in Montclair is a fantastic choice; the food is seasonal, creative, and ridiculously underpriced, imo.  I received a huge gift certificate to Blu from some board members when I left a job and six of us had a phenomenal dinner there as a result.  Really.  It's also BYO, which is a very nice perk, imo.

Fascino, also in Montclair, and also BYO, is similarly wonderful.  The chef is consistently recognized locally.  Another can't-go-wrong option, as far as I'm concerned.  Been too long since I've had a meal there, unfortunately!

Further away, but very high on my 'must-try' list is David Drake in Rahway.  Don't let the distance scare you/your sis--the place is getting wonderful reviews, and the pics on that thread will let you get an idea of the level of the menus/presentation.

Recent reports about Highlawn Pavillion are great.  It's certainly a lovely spot if you get a table near the windows.  Very special occasiony.

Those should get you started!  :smile:

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll be sure to pass them along to my sister. Blu was one of the places that I heard good things about and put on the list. The other two places that looked pretty good were Rosemary and Sage in Riverdale www.rosemaryandsage.com even though it’s not Italian and Bruschetta in Fairfield http://www.bruschettarestaurant.com . Any comments on either would be appreciated.

Berta's Chateau was recently reviewed here...

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...0entry1490594

In Bloomingdale is Kopici

(973) 283-8112

163 Union Ave, Bloomingdale, NJ 07403

We really like this place, white tablecloth, lovely service, great food, fairly casual crowd. Owner used to be the chef at Macalusos in Hawthorn

tracey

Tracy, thanks for the suggestions. I’ll be sure to pass them along to my sister. Someone else suggested Kopici’s but I couldn’t find a website. Do you know if they have one? Also, it seemed a little too casual. I think she’s looking for a more upscale special occasion type of place.

I havent been able to find a website for them, so I dont think so...

Our last dinner there we had seafood stuffed portabellas, and mozzerella en carozza with anchovy sauce for apps and then lobster fra diavolo which also had mussles and clams, and gnocchi with braised beef.

They have a very good menu not skewed too heavily to "red sauce"

I have unfortunatly seen people in there dressed very casually.

T

Mmm leftover gnocchi

gallery_23695_426_369707.jpg

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Rosemary and Sage looks ok, though I have not tried it. Reading the menu I could not tell if the dish descriptions were deceptively simple and I'd be wowed or if it was keeping things unambitious and simple to please the clientele. Please report if you try it.There was another restaurant in that space some years ago that we really liked.

My sister would like to send a gift certificate as a wedding present to a very good friend in Wayne, NJ.  Any suggestions for a really good restaurant, preferably Italian, would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. My sister decided to go with Lu Nello. I’ll try to get some feedback on how the newlyweds liked it after they’ve been there.

My sister would like to send a gift certificate as a wedding present to a very good friend in Wayne, NJ.  Any suggestions for a really good restaurant, preferably Italian, would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. My sister decided to go with Lu Nello. I’ll try to get some feedback on how the newlyweds liked it after they’ve been there.

is this the place where the waiters "sing" the menu to you?