• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pie Plate Suggestions

Shel_B

Hi,

I'l be needing a 9-inch pie plate. What kind do you recommend for general baking - pyrex, aluminum, steel ... any recommended brands? What are the different results that can be expected from each type?

The Baking Dunce

... Shel

I say Pyrex all the way. I use pyrex at home when I bake pies......I sure wish I could use them at work. Glass takes longer to heat, but once it heats, it holds and maintains the heat well enough to give you a well set and browned bottom crust, which seems to be the dilemma of many a pie maker.

I use Pyrex -- you can see the progress of the bottom crust.

Chicago Mettalic Commercial has holes in the bottom, and they have their own benefits.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Here I was wondering what pie 'pate' was...couldn't resist taking a peek. Shoot, thought we had another great recipe coming.

To the pie plate. If you have a Marshalls's or Tues. Morning, check and see if they have any Emile Henry pie plates. They're a heavy ceramic with a beautiful edge (which hides the fact that I can't flute for the life of me). They bake up a nice brown bottom too. That's what I use for home use..i.e. thats going on my Thanksgiving table.

That said, go for the pyrex for bringing along and just leave the things. I don't put my name on them or anything. The host/hostess gets a pie and an extra plate. I swear one of my old ones has moved about 5 times since I dropped it off at a friends when her mom died. I am 99 percent sure I saw it again this weekend soaking wood chips at a barbeque. They are cheap and durable and bake up nicely. I like the ones with the built in handles best, they're a little deeper and easier to handle when hot or bubbly. I think they're about 3 or 4 bucks each in the grocery store. the plain ones you can get for a couple of bucks each during the holidays just about anywhere. They're actually cheaper than the disposable plastic bake and serve trays and look a lot better.

edit: before you think I'm nuts, I swear the title of this thread once read 'pie pate suggestions' But I got the notification a few days ago and am just now getting around to my mail.

Edited by highchef (log)