• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trendy hipster bar in DC

mojoman

The easy answer is to head down to Penn Quarter and drop into just about any place with a liquor license. If your friend likes wine, Proof might be a good place to start, if they want hip Indian food and hip cocktails, Rasika is an excellent bet. Otherwise:

Poste, Zola, or Zaytinya would be fine places to start an evening. All the spots are within a bout five minutes by foot of one another.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

What kind of person would actually ask for a "trendy, young, beautiful-people-type bar?" Don't people who even are trendy like to believe they're not?

Screw it. Send 'em to the Raven for dark and dirty, cheap drinks and the most ecclectic gathering of people they're likely to encounter.

Older crowd there... Knowing the age of the person would help...

I think Charles was going for places with a higher decent food/jackass ratio. Think of a line with Proof on one end and Posh on the other...I'd represent it graphically, but haven't had enough coffee yet to pull that off.

The ratio of course has to be adjusted for different nights of the week, for instance a place like Indebleu might be more on the decent food side on a Tuesday, but definitely leans toward the jackass side on Friday and Saturday nights.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I already conveyed Charles' recommendations.

The trendy hipster was in her early-mid 20's if I understood correctly. I know that the crowd is older than that here but I also consider the knowledge here unparalleled.

Edited by mojoman (log)

What kind of person would actually ask for a "trendy, young, beautiful-people-type bar?" Don't people who even are trendy like to believe they're not?

Screw it. Send 'em to the Raven for dark and dirty, cheap drinks and the most ecclectic gathering of people they're likely to encounter.

Give me a ring when you're in town -- The Raven is my local. Couple other neo-dives around giving it a run for its money, as well, within staggering distance.

I actually think most of the "beautiful people" bars tend to get slightly "older" crowds because their demographic more or less begins around 25 (after grad school, or when the money gets a little better, or you just stop drinking like a college kid) and goes to married with children, which seems to be close to 40 these days. The kids tend more towards Georgetown and Adams-Morgan, which is why they're so crowded that nobody goes there anymore. And I find the Dupont scene -- 18th Street Lounge, Mantis, Citron -- a little Eurotrashy.

Different strokes.

I'm on the pavement

I'll do it. A few years ago when my friend lived across the street and in a block from the Raven, I was in there enough that some of the regulars thought I was from the neighborhood -- not the Eastern Shore.

We used to go to Tonic to eat sometimes, but then people were gathering on Sundays to (very seriously and severely) watch some TV show, like the Sopranos or something.

Give me a ring when you're in town -- The Raven is my local. Couple other neo-dives around giving it a run for its money, as well, within staggering distance.

I actually think most of the "beautiful people" bars tend to get slightly "older" crowds because their demographic more or less begins around 25 (after grad school, or when the money gets a little better, or you just stop drinking like a college kid) and goes to married with children, which seems to be close to 40 these days. The kids tend more towards Georgetown and Adams-Morgan, which is why they're so crowded that nobody goes there anymore. And I find the Dupont scene -- 18th Street Lounge, Mantis, Citron -- a little Eurotrashy.

Different strokes.

Agreed with all your comments... I have been avoiding bars/clubs for a while, and mostly been doing restaurants, but when I do go to bars I've found the U-street area to be pretty good... DC has def changed in the past few years, or maybe I've just gotten older and more boring, lol... :cool:

"Compared to me... you're as helpless as a worm fighting an eagle"

BackwardsHat.com

I didn't see this post.

I didn't ask for myself. I know that I am not a young hipster and I do not try to impersonate one.

I was asked (by an oldster older than me) to recommend a place for her visiting young hipster niece. I don't know if the niece was "unhip" enough to ask for a recommendation from her fuddy-duddy aunt but I think the aunt was acting proactively.

I didn't see this post.

I didn't ask for myself. I know that I am not a young hipster and I do not try to impersonate one.

I was asked (by an oldster older than me) to recommend a place for her visiting young hipster niece. I don't know if the niece was "unhip" enough to ask for a recommendation from her fuddy-duddy aunt but I think the aunt was acting proactively.

I suspect Chappie was being a little tongue-in-cheek here rather than seriously critical. I heard that he was scarred as a child by an ex-college wrestler wearing $230 jeans and an ear piece, and wielding a velvet rope, and now has a deep fear of of techno music and drinks served in martini glasses (except, of course, martinis). :wink:

I'm on the pavement

• 3 weeks later...

I would add Degrees at the Ritz Carlton in Georgetown. Not sure what the crowd is like these days, but the fireplace is warm and the lighting sets a certain mood.

I adore Proof, the restaurant, but there's not much room in the bar area. Hell, that might be what young hipster is seeking, but I felt I should throw that out there.

Veritas is so happening that there's rarely elbow room there either. Still, I like the place.