• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HELP!--rich dairy products

mojoman

I just hosted a 10-course dinner party in which I used heavy cream, half and half, creme fraiche, mascarpone, and sour cream. I now have 1/2 to 1 cup left of each (a pint of half-and-half).

Any suggestions how to use these products up? I was thinking about a creamy soup?

Nothing too complex please, I'm kinda burned out on cooking now.

Thanks in advance.

I'd make some ice cream, personally.

Sour cream + creme fraiche makes a nice, rich dip. Stir in as many odds and ends of diced onions as you have laying about and salt the hell out of it and you have my signature "five-onion dip."

Maybe a quiche (that could use some of the cream or half and half) with lots of fresh vegetables. If you don't want to eat it now, freeze it for another time of cooking burnout. :wink:

(I want to hear more about this dinner!)

Whenever I have too much cream in the fridge that might not be used for anything anytime soon, I make butter. You can add the creme to it and that should give it a nice cultured tang (when making butter I usually start by making a creme-type product by adding a little buttermilk to the cream and leaving it at room temperature for 8 or so hours to thicken). Just toss the cold dairy product in a food processor and let it go for about 5 minutes or until the whey separates from the solids. Then just squeeze out the excess moisture by kneading it with forks and pack it into small ramekins. If you're feeling especially ambitious or fancy, wash it a few times in icy water and then knead in some fleur de sal.

Maybe a quiche (that could use some of the cream or half and half) with lots of fresh vegetables. If you don't want to eat it now, freeze it for another time of cooking burnout.  :wink:

(I want to hear more about this dinner!)

I considered posting the menu for critique prior but figured I'd get so many good ideas that I wouldn't know what to do. Here's the menu.

Poached pear with aceto balsamico traditionale

Phyllo cracker with Forme D'Ambert and membrillo

Roasted honey-scented mascarpone stuffed date with fleur du sel

Butternut squash soup with creme fraiche, pistachios, and bacon

Boneless chicken wings (seasoned with curry, deep-fried) with mango dipping sauce

Pasta with pesto

Pomegranate molasses/lemon shooters (non-alcoholic)

Beef two-ways (braised - Daniel Bolud's recipe and pan-fried NY strip with horseradish and red chile-honey sauces), caulifower gratin, mashed potatoes

Apple-pear salad with candied pecans and Manchego (thanks David Ross)

Yuzu cream with huckleberry compote and phyllo crackers

Espresso

a kick-a$$ mac & cheese... marscapone, sour cream, half & half, about 1/2 lb of your fave sharp cheese... and the pasta (just about forgot). Whip the heavy cream w/ a bit of sugar and freeze individ. portions on a tray; pop into bags in the freezer for "later"

Karen Dar Woon