• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best eggs in the UK

Guys/gals

I'm on a personal quest to find the nicest tasting egg money can buy in the UK. However, it would also be nice to find the nicest widely availible egg as well, as no doubt the best egg is produced on some obscure farm in the middle of no-where which doesn' sell to Joe Public.

So far I'm tried a whole bunch of supermarket eggs and they have all been uniformly tasteless - including organic & free range ones that are over £3 for 6..

Anyone have any recommendations for either the best, or the best supermarket type egg?

The flavour of an egg will, obviously, depend on what a chicken has been eating. In the supermarket, free-range eggs in spring and summer are probably going to have the best flavour, since this is when the chickens' diet is most varied.

Anyone have any recommendations for either the best, or the best supermarket type egg?

I think the best supermarket eggs are from Clarence Court, but maybe I just like the pretty colours. :smile:

I think the best supermarket eggs are from Clarence Court, but maybe I just like the pretty colours. :smile:

Wow.. these have impressive pedigree (Claridges, Ivy, etc etc)

Time to go buy some!

I have deal with a mate who has a weekend place down in Dorset and a small flock of chickens. I get a dozen a week in exchange for alcohol - which seems fair.

Although they're far and away better than any of the regular organic, free-range ones I can get in town - even at the markets - they are mightily variable. Season, weather, even a recent mite infestation affect flavour.

His flock is mixed and includes a few bantams and he also keeps half a dozen ducks.

All of the eggs, and I really do mean all, even at their worst, are better than any of the six varieties on offer round the corner at Fresh and Wildly Exorbitant (have to agree though, that Clarence Court are the best they have) which I think may have more to do with freshness than anything else.

I guess it's down to the same old marketing problem of creating consistency to build a brand. In order to get Clarence Court eggs consistent they must be preventing some of the things that make my eggs variable. This too often tends toward consistent mediocrity.

In answer to your question. Clarence Court for 'widely available' but I reckon you'll find eggs an order of magnitude better by going off-piste but then they'll vary so much that any individual supplier or breed will be impossible to pin as consistently best.

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

Well I drove to Asda, 25 miles bought the eggs, blue box blue shells and will try them in the morning.

I also noticed the Duck eggs and might try them next week.

Only 10 hours to go before I poach them.